Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comma's

Options
  • 21-04-2017 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering about comma's .. why are they placed where they are and I think the person who thought them up originally needs to take a long hard bloody look at themselves in the mirror and question their sanity!

I mean surely isn't should be is'nt and don't should be do'nt (as in do not) - I know it dont look right but its only because we have been programmed/conditioned to write it the other ways.

talking of commas is it comma's or commas ... or am I talking apostrophes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

O'h Chr'st And'y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I'm eating my breakfast Kate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Just wondering about comma's .. why are they placed where they are and I think the person who thought them up originally needs to take a long hard bloody look at themselves in the mirror and question their sanity!

I mean surely isn't should be is'nt and don't should be do'nt (as in do not) - I know it dont look right but its only because we have been programmed/conditioned to write it the other ways.

They're apostrophes. And you put them where the letter is omitted, as in do n't

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

tumblr_inline_mstv2ge1091qz4rgp.gif

I was going to take the bait but it's late, I'm cranky and jetlagged and I can't be arsed giving you a bleedin' punctuation lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Do you have some device that just sh*ts out your thoughts onto a screen somehow in the form of a new thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Andy, seriously....what drugs are you on? Seriously.

I've seen less curious cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Couldn't be arsed reading it sorry Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

They're apostrophes. And you put them where the letter is omitted, as in do n't

ah right Ted! ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A comma is when you go asleep for ages by the way.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Do you have some device that just sh*ts out your thoughts onto a screen somehow in the form of a new thread?

no, but it would save time if I did ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What's up with those underscores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Omackeral wrote: »

Facebook are working on that... Maybe a Facebook employee looking to rip off other people's ideas, just like.. .. Oh I don't know.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Comma 'gain?!

You should check out Eats, Shoots & Leaves. Great book.

Couldn't be arsed reading it sorry Andy

you mean you could'nt ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Silly thread is silly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement