Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the bad old days

Options
  • 20-04-2017 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

The ICU website has just posted a link to Drogheda Chess Club's announcement of their weekend Congress (3-5 June).

http://www.icu.ie/events/901

On downloading the entry form, which is in Word format (they haven't heard of PDF apparently), I read:

"Players are required to bring their own board, set & clock."

Include me out, therefore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Tychoo

Did they have boards and clocks last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

I didn't play last year. My posting wasn't specifically about Drogheda, it was about organisers expecting players to bring their own equipment.

Apart from the awkwardness of bringing the stuff if you are not travelling in your own car, there are all the disadvantages of having to play some games on unsatisfactory boards and sets.

Worst of all now, maybe some players will bring clocks that cannot handle incremental time limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 do23

I agree with Tim. We should have standard clocks and sets at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

I disagree - it's an added cost to the organiser which makes tournaments more costly.

I'd be in favour of charging players €5 surcharge if they don't bring their own set and clock.

Or reducing the prize fund to compensate for the sets and clocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Most tournaments get a lend of equipment from the ICU or LCU I thought. Is this not available to Drogheda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Vampslayer

At the last minute last year they put up that they would provide sets and clocks after all on their website. Seems to me they may do the same again. Up until recently they did not have the weekend included in the ICU calendar.
    Plus I am wondering what they mean by "FIDE Rules as per ICU handbook and Leinster Chess Union rules will apply"?
    Seems to me also they are shooting themselves in the foot by insisting no entries after Monday 29th, a full 6 days before the start. They do not have an under 18 reduced rate entry fee either. Last year we asked them about this and they said they would include this year.
    I get the impression they are just not that organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Vampslayer

Wondering why Drogheda have not put the draw for the first round up online yet. It's 7.3pm on Friday and the closing date was last Monday! Plus do we still have to bring our own sets and clocks? Anyone got any news on the weekend?

Advertisement