Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Corrib - advice

Options
  • 20-04-2017 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi All,

Heading to Lough Corrib on Sunday for the first time. We are renting a boat from Oughterard.

Any adivce on fishing styles, baits or locations - all welcome?

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What is your target species and what methods are you intending on using.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Are you renting from Basil Sheilds?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kerinethan

Pike is the main goal. spinning and trawling

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

A lot of lads (not all) hate pike in the west especially the corrib systems, because they're "game only lakes" like there in charge of the whole way it works, ifi nets it too.. if someone has info to the OP please pm him.. have you looked up fishingGalway on YouTube all corrib he fishes, there's plenty in there and very decent pike. I don't fish corrib but I'm sure lads would help.. same things I would do is find places that look where pike would be throw lures into them big lures too as there's very big pike In their..

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kerinethan

Got the boat today from Oughterard. Fishing non stop with every lure in the box. Three of us up and down the lake and not one bite. Can't say I'd be in a rush back to the corrib.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

kerinethan wrote: »
    Got the boat today from Oughterard. Fishing non stop with every lure in the box. Three of us up and down the lake and not one bite. Can't say I'd be in a rush back to the corrib.

Its a big lake.
    You'd need to be targeting specific depths and contours.
    Were you using an echo sounder?

What sort of lures did you try?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

kerinethan wrote: »

in fairness, one day is not nearly enough time to get used to corrib, or any lake of that size.
    I have fished corrib a good few times over the last 3 years for pike, brownies and ferox. I have had blanks, and I have also had some of my best days fishing on the lake.

If you are paying to rent a boat, I would suggest paying extra and getting a guide for the day. You are paying for their knowledge, which will be worth its weight in gold. Not only their angling knowledge, but their knowledge of rocks, and there are lots of them in the lower lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Couldnt agree more on above, hense why I asked who you rented the boat from.

https://www.facebook.com/fishingirelandpl.jacekgorny

I've been out with this chap before, highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

viper123 wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more on above, hense why I asked who you rented the boat from.

https://www.facebook.com/fishingirelandpl.jacekgorny

I've been out with this chap before, highly recommended.

+1
    I haven't been out with Jacek, but I have been with Tomi a few times. Both are incredible anglers, I have learned a lot about lure fishing from Tomi.
    https://www.facebook.com/tomi.guidedfishing/

• Advertisement
Advertisement