Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caused very minor damage to a van-should I be worried about a claim?

Options
  • 20-04-2017 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I had a bit of a tip this morning. It was nothing major. I was going out around a van parked on double yellow lines. When pulling back to my side I scraped my wheel arch against his because another van came against me so I was trying to get back to my side of the narrow road. He got out of the van, seeming quite angry at first and I pulled in behind him to see the damage. It was only a few scrapes on both wheel arches and I apologised to him. He got a cloth and rubbed both vehicles and said that it was ok, it wasn't too bad and it had happened to him before but that the person had made a claim against him. He said not to worry about it and I apologised again before we both drove on.

The thing is I'm now worried that he could put in a claim against me. I was going to take pictures of the slight damage to both vehicles and showing that he was parked facing the wrong way on double yellow lines. But then I decided against it in case he thought I would put a claim in against him and try to get in first. There was also a man that the driver was there to meet that came along at that time and saw the damage to both so could act as a witness. I didn't get his registration or name and he now knows where I park everyday because it was just before I pulled in to my car park.

Should I be worried? Or if he puts in a claim will I still be counted as being the one in the wrong even though he was the one parked on double yellow lines on a narrow street?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I could be wrong here, but on a really simple level he was stopped (where he shouldn't be), and you drove into him.
    I think you would struggle to prove he was in the wrong here.

I'd just hope he was being honest and didn't care enough to worry about it to claim; If a work van, it really may not be a concern to him.
    But if he submits a claim, I don't think you have a leg to stand on really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Happened to me about 2 years ago.

Tiny amount of damage. Insurance settled for €750

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

sazob wrote: »

Should I be worried? Or if he puts in a claim will I still be counted as being the one in the wrong even though he was the one parked on double yellow lines on a narrow street?

Him being incorrectly parked doesn't allow you to hit him unfortunately.
    Did he take any of your details?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sazob

No he didn't take any of my details. Unless he took note of my registration. Should I go to the Garda station tonight and show the damage on my car and put in writing what happened? That way it will be on file how minor it is in case anything happens in the mean time and he tries to pin it on me. But if I do that will it affect my insurance, even if he never reports it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

sazob wrote:
    No he didn't take any of my details. Unless he took note of my registration. Should I go to the Garda station tonight and show the damage on my car and put in writing what happened? That way it will be on file how minor it is in case anything happens in the mean time and he tries to pin it on me. But if I do that will it affect my insurance, even if he never reports it?

You should report it to your insurance company. If there's no claim it shouldn't affect your insurance premium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

It shouldn't affect your premium if you don't claim and he doesn't claim against you but you are obliged to report to your Insurers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Doubt he would bother his arse making a claim if no damage done to his van.

But he may all off a sudden develop injuries which is worth claiming for.

( you hit him it is your fault )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Doubt he would bother his arse making a claim if no damage done to his van.

But he may all off a sudden develop injuries which is worth claiming for.

( you hit him it is your fault )

Advertisement