Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gutter press

Options
  • 20-04-2017 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

On the 'it says in the papers' slot on morning Ireland one of the leading stories in the Irish daily Star is a listing of the various locations where members of the hutch family/gang are hiding out. Assuming that this is true and they actually know this(which on their previous record is highly unlikely) why would you publish this and endanger more lives? The press both red top and broadsheets seem to be in a race to the bottom in terms of quality and class.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

On the 'it says in the papers' slot on morning Ireland one of the leading stories in the Irish daily Star is a listing of the various locations where members of the hutch family/gang are hiding out. Assuming that this is true and they actually know this(which on their previous record is highly unlikely) why would you publish this and endanger more lives? The press both red top and broadsheets seem to be in a race to the bottom in terms of quality and class.

The Irish Daily Star :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I missed Morning Ireland.
    Can you write down the addresses please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I tend to agree. I bought the Times this weekend.
    It was completely tacky.
    I thought I picked up the Indo by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Gutter snipe is an underrated term.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I also passed anewsstand the other morning and the banner headline was (re the Korea-USA shaping) 'WE ARE ON THE BRINK OF WAR'

FFS! And to think that some of the former editors of these rags now have fellowships and professorships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Don't buy them. Don't click their sites/ads.

Ridicule those who do.

(A brand being advertised in a rag/red top should be a bad thing - dont buy from companies who feed the trolls)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I stopped consuming media probably ten years ago now, when you take time away from it and then read some again it seems even more ridiculous that these companies can pass themselves off as a news companies. Their standards have gone through the floor.

The problem is though they're pandering to our own weaknesses for gossip and sensationalism. They have essentially turned into small town gossips, they're quality is really no better than curtain twitchers that thing the young ones are up to no good. But the fact is the newspapers are giving us what we want, we vote for them by buying their papers/watching their news. We lap up the sensationalised versions with glee, even if we're giving out about them it's still a win for some companies.

I don't see how it can change, if the newspapers drop sensationalism and try to be more impartial they'll produce a less entertaining product that people won't buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

ScumLord wrote: »
    I stopped consuming media probably ten years ago now, when you take time away from it and then read some again it seems even more ridiculous that these companies can pass themselves off as a news companies. Their standards have gone through the floor.

The problem is though they're pandering to our own weaknesses for gossip and sensationalism. They have essentially turned into small town gossips, they're quality is really no better than curtain twitchers that thing the young ones are up to no good. But the fact is the newspapers are giving us what we want, we vote for them by buying their papers/watching their news. We lap up the sensationalised versions with glee, even if we're giving out about them it's still a win for some companies.

I don't see how it can change, if the newspapers drop sensationalism and try to be more impartial they'll produce a less entertaining product that people won't buy.

I agree. I also still think that surely they must be held accountable when they do as I outlined in the opening post, endanger lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

There's Reuters then there's everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes, on the one hand I thought it was wrong to publish this information and put lives at risk.

On the other hand, maybe they did the people in question a favour... if they could find out this information then so could the people stalking them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

There used to be a big difference with how news was reported between the red tops and broadsheets. That divide has gone now. They are all as bad as each other. Its no longer news reporting - its mud slinging and reputation tarnishing no matter what paper its written in.

Advertisement