Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's this laptop? / Laptop suggestion for college

Options
  • 19-04-2017 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a laptop both for college next year and home use. I will use it a lot for watching movies, light-gaming (Football Manager), and word/powerpoint. My price range is anything up to 1100 euro.

I stumbled upon this laptop and I was wondering if it's any good. I was also thinking about the Dell laptop's; XPS & Inspiron, however I've heard that they are slightly overpriced and the XPS is outside my price range. Battery life must also be quite decent too.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Big beast of a thing. I would want something smaller and lighter for a college machine. I wouldn't be the biggest Lenovo fan either. Perhaps an XPS 13, although this is the top end of your budget. But you might be able to find one in the outlet store for more reasonable money.

It does not have the a dedicated graphics card, but it would be perfectly fine for light/moderate gaming on low/med settings. Small and light, with a top in class screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

Big beast of a thing. I would want something smaller and lighter for a college machine. I wouldn't be the biggest Lenovo fan either. Perhaps an XPS 13, although this is the top end of your budget. But you might be able to find one in the outlet store for more reasonable money.

It does not have the a dedicated graphics card, but it would be perfectly fine for light/moderate gaming on low/med settings. Small and light, with a top in class screen.

Yeah, I saw that some people were getting 15% discounts from calling Dell, and I think I'd definitely take an XPS 13 for 1100 euro. Although it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card like the XPS 15. Do you think the i5 is good enough or should I spend a bit more on the i7?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

EireLemon wrote: »
    Yeah, I saw that some people were getting 15% discounts from calling Dell, and I think I'd definitely take an XPS 13 for 1100 euro. Although it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card like the XPS 15. Do you think the i5 is good enough or should I spend a bit more on the i7?

You'll be more than fine with an i5 for your needs

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bought an inspiron 5000 2-1 a year ago for a family member. Top class machine, would highly recommend. You can get a decent spec for not unreal money:
    ?939
    Processor Help Me Choose
    7th Generation Intel? Core? i7-7500U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.5 GHz)
    Operating System ​ (Dell recommends Windows 10 Pro.)Help Me Choose
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit English, Dutch, French, German, Italian
    Microsoft OfficeHelp Me Choose
    Microsoft? Office 30 Day Trial - Excludes Office License
    Security SoftwareHelp Me Choose
    McAfee? LiveSafe?, 12 Month Subscription
    Memory1Help Me Choose
    16GB Single Channel DDR4 2400MHz, up to 16GB
    Hard DriveHelp Me Choose
    512GB Solid State Drive
    Video CardHelp Me Choose
    Intel HD Graphics 620
    DisplayHelp Me Choose
    15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Truelife LED-Backlit Touch Display with Wide Viewing Angle (IPS)
    Choose your colour
    LCD Back Cover for Touch Screen - Grey
    Warranty
    1 year Collect & Return Hardware Support included with your PC
    Accidental Damage Service
    No Accidental Damage Protection
    Ports
    Side
    1 HDMI v1.4a
    2 USB 3.0 (incl 1 with PowerCharge)
    1 USB 2.0 
    1 Noble lock security slot
    1 Headphone/Mic

Media Card Reader
    1 Micro SD card reader (SD/SDHC/SDXC)
    Slots
    Noble lock security slot
    Chassis
    Keyboard / Touchpad
    Standard spill-resistant keyboard; precision touchpad
    Optional backlit, spill-resistant keyboard; precision touchpad

Color / Finish
    Era Gray painted finish.
    Dimensions
    Height: 20.2mm (.80?) x Width: 381.9mm (15.0?) x Depth: 253.1mm (9.96?)
    WirelessHelp Me Choose
    802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.2, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1
    Primary BatteryHelp Me Choose
    42 WHr, 3-Cell Battery (integrated)
    PowerHelp Me Choose
    Battery
    42 WHr, 3-Cell Battery, Integrated

AC Adapter
    65 Watt AC Adapter

Yes its ULV, but a very competent unit.

Advertisement