Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Irish music

Options
  • 19-04-2017 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to find these pieces for fiddle:

The Reel in the Flickering Light (Colm Gallagher/Christy Moore)
    The Homes of Donegal (Seán McBride/Paul Brady)
    Gleanntáin Ghlas Ghaoth Dobhair (Proinsias Ó Maonaigh/Altan)

I've tried musicroom.com (McCullough Pigott), Opus2 and my local Siopa Gaeilge but no joy.

They are for my young son who was asked by his school to learn them over the Easter holidays. He's due back in school on Monday!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,798 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just look them up on youtube and learn by ear from there. Kids shouldn't need sheet music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Anyone know of any good Irish sheet music resources I could check out?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Heighway61 wrote: »
    They are for my young son who was asked by his school to learn them over the Easter holidays. He's due back in school on Monday!

They could have at least provided him with the sheet music if they expected him to learn them. Do they do that with all the kids? Anyway it is difficult to find sheet music for certain songs like this as they are usually only found in the artist's songbooks which you'd need to buy. This is why he's better off in the long run to learn by ear, though I wouldn't expect him to do that by Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

http://thetradshop.ie/

I know nothing about this place other than I noticed it as I drove by it yesterday.

Might be worth giving them a ring, they might at least be able to give you a steer

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any good Irish sheet music resources I could check out?

thesession.org possibly?

Btw I've never heard of kids being asked to learn songs/tunes without the sheet music or notes. Seems a bit harsh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement