Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitamin B12 advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

That link doesn't work but...
    as a coeliac I've learned all about B12 deficiency :( personally I'd go to a good health food shop rather than a supermarket for my B12. You can also ensure you're getting it in vegetarian capsules rather than gelatin ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I have read that I need to be taking Vit B12.

Everyone should be taking extra B12, not just Veg*n.

I've been taking the pink pills from the health shop in Dundrum Town Centre.
    I had a blood test in March and my B12 was 1700-odd, the upper level recommended is 800, in Ireland. It's 1300 in a Japanese study.

Alpro Milks are Fortified with lots of Vitamins, including B12.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Thanks for the info

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The solgar 1000ug one is good, just take one every few days. Don't take a multivitamin unless you need to. Some food is already fortified with B12 and animal products that would would still be eating would too. If you stop eating any dairy then the supplementation is a must really, unless you eat nutritional yeast every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Marmite is your B12 friend.

A decent dollop each day will get you near the daily requirement.

A nice snack is ryvita spread with marmite and then lathered in crunchy peanut butter. Protein, fibre and B12 in one snack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Marmite is your B12 friend.

A decent dollop each day will get you near the daily requirement.

A nice snack is ryvita spread with marmite and then lathered in crunchy peanut butter. Protein, fibre and B12 in one snack

I was once given a slice of toast with marmite on it

Thought it was strawberry jam so took a big bite...

"WTF IS THAT? " I shouted at my gf at the time...... As I spat it out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Had bloods taken today, due to tiredness, leg cramps, and looking pale, had stopped eating , butter, red meat meat, eggs about a year ago, and hoping this is the answer to all of this, I see neutritional yeast being mentioned, does anyone use this, and has it helped

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I was once given a slice of toast with marmite on it

Thought it was strawberry jam so took a big bite...

"WTF IS THAT? " I shouted at my gf at the time...... As I spat it out

what is in marmite and how does it taste

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

We use nutritional yeast all the time, it's delicious. Have you not been supplementing B12 at all? You really need to be it from plant milk, nutritional yeast or supplements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bugsy2012

You can get nutritional yeast in Supervalu now but i would also look at getting some B12 tablets. I take 2 a week (tuesday and saturday) just too make sure my levels are fine.
    I also use soya and almond milk fortified with B12 and my levels are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Look out for some plant milks too, I found an oat milk in Lidl that has 50% of your RI per 100ml.

Also a lot of cereal's are fortified with B12.

Advertisement