Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

return from Athlone to Wesport and Ballina - same day return, possible?

Options
  • 19-04-2017 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

One of the few rail sections in Ireland that I haven't covered is Athlone to Westport and Ballina, and I'd love to click it off the list. is it worth doing on the one day, due to Manulla - Ballina timings it seems a bit off.

Best I can do, seems to be
    Athlone to Ballina : 09:08 arrive 11:01 (change at Manulla)
    Ballina to Westport : 14:55 arrive 15:55 (change at Manulla)
    Westport to Athlone : 18:05 arrive 20:03

Tickets,
    1 x return Athlone - Ballina
    1 x return Ballina - Westport (only using to Manulla on return leg)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

You could ask for two "open returns"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Simpler

Get a Athlone to Ballina return ticket
    Get a Ballina to Westport single
    The Athlone Ballina ticket is valid to used on the return from Westport, check with staff in Athlone but it should be good, per appendix 1 of the T&C's

Staff in Westport would issue an intercity extension ticket to replace the return with Westport Athlone

Or buy online to see if it works out cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

open returns won't really help, as I'm not looking to spend too much time in either place, it's get it, look around, get train out.

Online works out cheap enough, and leaves me with the correct tickets, without having to swap any. Good to know it's an option though

now to find a free Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Get the 14:03 and change at Manulla; that way you'll be in Ballina for 16:00. The shuttle goes out again at 16:55 to connect with the mid afternoon train at Manulla at 17:28; this gets you into Westport by 17:55.

The train back leaves Westport at 18:15 and will have you back to Athlone by 20.03. You won't have a lot of time in Westport, not enough to get into the town but there'll be time for a pint in Ballina and most of the rest of your day will be on trains.

Ticket wise, I'll check this one out for you and report back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement