Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax credit query

Options
  • 19-04-2017 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi

I am not to sure how tax credit s work.So i thought i might get some advice on here,

I have a son (10 year old) from an old relationship and i am getting a tax credit on him 1650.
    I have 2 sons now to my husband and we got married in june 2015, but i have never got on to the revenue office.
    Firstly will i need to cancel my single child credit as i am married?
    Or should i let them know i am married since 2015 june.
    Will i have to pay back my single child credit from the date i got married on, even tough i am not with his father.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

pedee wrote: »
    Hi

I am not to sure how tax credit s work.So i thought i might get some advice on here,

I have a son (10 year old) from an old relationship and i am getting a tax credit on him 1650.
    I have 2 sons now to my husband and we got married in june 2015, but i have never got on to the revenue office.
    Firstly will i need to cancel my single child credit as i am married?
    Or should i let them know i am married since 2015 june.
    Will i have to pay back my single child credit from the date i got married on, even tough i am not with his father.

Yes, you will have to contact the Revenue office that is local to you and let them know.

It doesn't matter if you aren't with the father of the child, as soon as you began co-habiting with another person, the credit is no longer due. So if you were living with your now husband for a while before marrying, the credit is no longer due from this time. This is stated on the application form when you filled it out.

You're best let Revenue know ASAP, as these things usually get found out eventually (especially now that many departments are sharing info). If you don't, you;ll still get the credit, but will owe even more back when the inevitable happens

Advertisement