Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shorter Menstrual Cycle - fluoxetine

Options
  • 19-04-2017 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi ladies,

I've been taking fluoxetine for a couple of weeks, and got my first period since I started on it the other day. It usually lasts at least 5 days, but this time there was bleeding for 2 days then nothing, nada. Just wondering if anyone has experience of this drug affecting periods in such a way?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

andreoilin wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

I've been taking fluoxetine for a couple of weeks, and got my first period since I started on it the other day. It usually lasts at least 5 days, but this time there was bleeding for 2 days then nothing, nada. Just wondering if anyone has experience of this drug affecting periods in such a way?

Thanks!

Mod

Hello :)

Given the nature of the medication, you might get a better response in the long term illness forum where more regulars may take fluoxetine.

Would you like me to move it? Or would you prefer me to merge this with our existing thread on lady gardening issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

sullivlo wrote: »
    Mod

Hello :)

Given the nature of the medication, you might get a better response in the long term illness forum where more regulars may take fluoxetine.

Would you like me to move it? Or would you prefer me to merge this with our existing thread on lady gardening issues?

Hi sullivlo,

Could you move it please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

If you look up the product's SPC (Summary of Product characteristics) (the more detailed version of the patient info leaflet) you can read known side effects on the reproductive system, although these may be much rarer than the more common side effects. in short, all SSRIs can have an effect on sexual function and fluoxetine is prescribed for severe PMS by some so it's very possible; it's also possible a confounding factor such as anxiety is affecting your menstrual cycle. The most sensible thing to do is monitor any potential side effects and discuss the pros and cons of continuing any medication with its prescriber; do not stop taking it suddenly.

Advertisement