Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insertional achilles tendonitis

Options
  • 19-04-2017 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

If I'm over stepping the rules here on injury advice mods can delete this thread.

I'm not looking for advice on how to overcome insertional achilles tendonitis but more so feedback from runners who suffered from it. I'm wondering has anyone here who had it ever got back to their best again or been able to get back to the level of training they were at before they got the injury? It's such a frustrating injury and the small improvements I've seen are great I'm wonder will I ever get back to the level of where I was. I'd love to see some light at the end of the tunnel no matter the lenght of that tunnel. I keep been told be patient and take it slowly which I am. But I don't know any runners personally who suffered this kind if injury hence the reason I'm asking here to see if anyone has made a full recovery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Ceepo

If I'm over stepping the rules here on injury advice mods can delete this thread.

I'm not looking for advice on how to overcome insertional achilles tendonitis but more so feedback from runners who suffered from it. I'm wondering has anyone here who had it ever got back to their best again or been able to get back to the level of training they were at before they got the injury? It's such a frustrating injury and the small improvements I've seen are great I'm wonder will I ever get back to the level of where I was. I'd love to see some light at the end of the tunnel no matter the lenght of that tunnel. I keep been told be patient and take it slowly which I am. But I don't know any runners personally who suffered this kind if injury hence the reason I'm asking here to see if anyone has made a full recovery.

To state the obvious. It would all depend on the treatment you are receiving.
    Did you have a MRI to diagnose it.
    What treatment was advised?
    Did you have any biomechanical assessment carried out. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Yes I had a MRI in Santry and biomechanical assessment. Unfortunately I also have Haglunds deformity. So far I been working on strengthen and eccentric load exercises over the past few months. My other options will be shockwave therapy failing my current treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

The key with tendon injuries is load management, that might mean a complete cessation of running or just scaling back faster running and just doing easy jogging. Have you a recovery/rehab plan from the SSC? The treatment protocols for insertional vs regular achilles tendinopathy are different, especially in relation to eccentric loading. If the rehab plan you are following is set by the SSC you may have to trust it and just be patient as awful as that can be. I feel for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

As a fellow achilles sufferer (twice in the last two years and likely to be three for three in the very near future!), can I ask who did the biomechanical assessment in the SSC and what it entailed?

I've been to quite a few different people at this stage, all excellent and thoroughly professional and I've done 000s of calf-raises of all varieties in the past two years but I'm still no closer to preventing it from happening.

I'm fairly convinced at this stage that my achilles problems stem from my back. This presents as mild hamstring soreness that turns into tightness that travels down to the calf and achilles, without ever being painful, until I wake up and I'm hobbling a bit and then a lot. Running long runs or successive days easy on grass generally kicks it off, while 5min/mile pace is fine!

It's very, very frustrating not to be able a) to train to your potential but, mostly, b) just to go for a long easy run on grass.

I'm considering either an epidural or some form of back-quackery in the very near future.

I'm wondering has anyone here who had it ever got back to their best again or been able to get back to the level of training they were at before they got the injury?.

For me, the problem wasn't getting back to the level I was at before the injury, it's just preventing it from happening again. I've pb'ed and had some really good races in between achilles woes, but the main woe was that it occurred again.

• Advertisement

Sacksian wrote: »
    As a fellow achilles sufferer (twice in the last two years and likely to be three for three in the very near future!), can I ask who did the biomechanical assessment in the SSC and what it entailed?

I've been to quite a few different people at this stage, all excellent and thoroughly professional and I've done 000s of calf-raises of all varieties in the past two years but I'm still no closer to preventing it from happening.

I'm fairly convinced at this stage that my achilles problems stem from my back. This presents as mild hamstring soreness that turns into tightness that travels down to the calf and achilles, without ever being painful, until I wake up and I'm hobbling a bit and then a lot. Running long runs or successive days easy on grass generally kicks it off, while 5min/mile pace is fine!

It's very, very frustrating not to be able a) to train to your potential but, mostly, b) just to go for a long easy run on grass.

I'm considering either an epidural or some form of back-quackery in the very near future.

Have you ever heard if Functional Patterns

http://www.functionalpatterns.com/

Ceepo wrote: »
    Have you ever heard if Functional Patterns

http://www.functionalpatterns.com/

The basic principle of functional fitness/movement would be the orthodoxy on injury prevention at the moment so it's hard not to hear of it if you've been injured - I probably wouldn't start with that site if I was introducing someone to it though!

For a really detailed and running-specific reference to functional fitness and movement, biomechanics and injury prevention, I'd really strongly recommend Jay Dicharry's Anatomy for Runners, which is probably my most-heavily browsed running book.

Sacksian wrote: »
    The basic principle of functional fitness/movement would be the orthodoxy on injury prevention at the moment so it's hard not to hear of it if you've been injured - I probably wouldn't start with that site if I was introducing someone to it though!

For a really detailed and running-specific reference to functional fitness and movement, biomechanics and injury prevention, I'd really strongly recommend Jay Dicharry's Anatomy for Runners, which is probably my most-heavily browsed running book.

I only linked the site as a reference,

I would highly recommend getting accessed by a FP practitioner.
    If you are having on going issue's, is your injury prevention regime working well?

Advertisement