Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online C++ course recommendation

Options
  • 18-04-2017 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

Hi

I need to study C++.

Requirements
    Online , ideally free or very cheap , Beginner to immediate level , self paced and some sort of documentation or certification i.e just something to show I actually did it.

Can anyone point me in right direction here?
    Appreciated

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Keplar240B wrote: »
    I need to study C++.

Heh. If you knew anything about C++, you'd realise the heh, it takes years to learn enough C++ to become useful in it.
    Keplar240B wrote: »
    Requirements
    Online , ideally free or very cheap , Beginner to immediate level , self paced and some sort of documentation or certification i.e just something to show I actually did it.

Almost all of the online courses in C++ are worse than useless. They are full of bad, incorrect, and even illegal C++. Seeing completion of them predominantly mentioned on a CV usually means it goes in the bin.

But you really want one, the top ten Google results all look equally as awful as one another. Choose your poison.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

Find a program you're interested in on github.
    Get it compiling and running.
    Learn how to use a debugger.

Hack hack hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Hi,

A couple of years ago I stumbled across a guy called Jamie King on youtube. At the time he was a college lecturer in some random university in Utah who made software videos in his spare time. I watched all 200+ of his C# video and they were amazing. He has this gift for explaining complex topics in layman's terms that really resonated with me. He also is genuinely funny which helps a lot.

Anyway, I noticed that he also has done a lot of C++ videos. I haven't watched them but I'd be shocked if they weren't also excellent.

You can check them out for yourself here.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Anyway, I noticed that he also has done a lot of C++ videos. I haven't watched them but I'd be shocked if they weren't also excellent.

All the big C++ conferences now put all their talks online:

There are also videos online for the C++ Now conference (Aspen) and the Meeting C++ conference (Berlin).

If you watch several years of those and can speak about their content and the speakers usefully, you'll impress in an interview.

Niall

Advertisement