Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Motorbikes - Any help?

Options
  • 18-04-2017 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I will be moving out of Dublin (hopefully in September) not sure where to yet but approx 1 hour commute back into Dublin to work. I am looking to get a motorbike and as I do not know much about them any help would be appreciated.

There are 2 main questions that I have

1: What size/type of bike would you recommend for that length of a journey. It needs to be reliable and cheap(ish) to run. I will be looking to but this second hand as I have never had one before (only some mopeds when I was much younger) so I am sure I will probably drop it/scratch it before long. I am not too pushed on what it looks like once it does the job.

2: What license should I apply for, say for example its best for me to get a 250, if I get a license for a bigger bike would that still cover me for a smaller one (in case I decided to get a bigger bike in the future). I would hate to get a lower license category and then have to reapply to get a bigger one If I don't need to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

DG2017 wrote: »
    2: What license should I apply for, say for example its best for me to get a 250, if I get a license for a bigger bike would that still cover me for a smaller one (in case I decided to get a bigger bike in the future). I would hate to get a lower license category and then have to reapply to get a bigger one If I don't need to.

It's the same rigmarole to get a small 'un as a big 'un. My recommendation to anyone thinking of starting out is to just go and apply for the permit (you may need a theory test too) and take IBT- it validates your learner category and it gives you the tools to pass the test. You don't have to invest in a bike or even gear of your own. If you like what it's all about, get your own bike to your own choice and your own gear. If need be, hire your instructor's bike to take the full A test on. You're done forever then and you have a more sensible bike for your commute.
    DG2017 wrote: »
    1: What size/type of bike would you recommend for that length of a journey. It needs to be reliable and cheap(ish) to run. I will be looking to but this second hand as I have never had one before (only some mopeds when I was much younger) so I am sure I will probably drop it/scratch it before long. I am not too pushed on what it looks like once it does the job.

Firstly, don't underestimate that bikes need much more minding than cars- they are much more involved. You'll be out checking, lubing and tweaking things on a daily basis and you neglect them at your peril. That said, if you mind it, there endless choices of reliable bikes.

Secondly, you may be surprised how much fuel some bikes can eat. There can be a big difference between even 600cc bikes - the range can be anywhere between 45 - 75 mpg depending on your choice. Research is necessary as to which suits your needs. Also, don't underestimate how much you can spend on consumables such as tyre, brakes (discs are wicked expensive), chains and sprockets and the like. Also, if you're riding daily, you may need to spend big bucks on gear and possibly be replacing bits and pieces regularly. In a nutshell, I would be more likely to do this to avoid traffic or to indulge in some biking rather than save money - I think a well chosen small car would be comparable in costs overall.

I would say something with an upright sitting position. I think a higher altitude would be beneficial for traffic. I think 600cc or smaller for economy. Personally, I'd be looking at an XT660 if I were in your position. I think you would have to consider the available budget and definitely go to a shop and look at and sit on some different bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

As above, the only thing to note is that you say 1 hour commute back into Dublin.

At the moment it is/can be 1 hour from the outskirts of Dublin to the city centre by car, but maybe only 20 minutes by motorbike.

But if you are going to commute 1 hour to the outskirts of Dublin, which will be mostly motorway, it's a long time on a bike for a novice, you'd probably want a nice touring/faired bike.

As already mentioned, servicing will get expensive if you're doing 150km+ per day, average service interval is around 10k km, you'll be servicing it every 14 weeks!

OP, what are your goals/reasoning to get a bike? and what is your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DG2017

cantdecide wrote: »
    It's the same rigmarole to get a small 'un as a big 'un. My recommendation to anyone thinking of starting out is to just go and apply for the permit (you may need a theory test too) and take IBT- it validates your learner category and it gives you the tools to pass the test. You don't have to invest in a bike or even gear of your own. If you like what it's all about, get your own bike to your own choice and your own gear. If need be, hire your instructor's bike to take the full A test on. You're done forever then and you have a more sensible bike for your commute.

Firstly, don't underestimate that bikes need much more minding than cars- they are much more involved. You'll be out checking, lubing and tweaking things on a daily basis and you neglect them at your peril. That said, if you mind it, there endless choices of reliable bikes.

Secondly, you may be surprised how much fuel some bikes can eat. There can be a big difference between even 600cc bikes - the range can be anywhere between 45 - 75 mpg depending on your choice. Research is necessary as to which suits your needs. Also, don't underestimate how much you can spend on consumables such as tyre, brakes (discs are wicked expensive), chains and sprockets and the like. Also, if you're riding daily, you may need to spend big bucks on gear and possibly be replacing bits and pieces regularly. In a nutshell, I would be more likely to do this to avoid traffic or to indulge in some biking rather than save money - I think a well chosen small car would be comparable in costs overall.

I would say something with an upright sitting position. I think a higher altitude would be beneficial for traffic. I think 600cc or smaller for economy. Personally, I'd be looking at an XT660 if I were in your position. I think you would have to consider the available budget and definitely go to a shop and look at and sit on some different bikes.

Thanks for the advice. I know nothing about bikes so will have to do some serious research in regards to the maintenance etc. Im not looking to get one to save money, it's more to save time as I hope to be able to beat the traffic once I get into the city.

colm_c wrote: »
    As above, the only thing to note is that you say 1 hour commute back into Dublin.

At the moment it is/can be 1 hour from the outskirts of Dublin to the city centre by car, but maybe only 20 minutes by motorbike.

But if you are going to commute 1 hour to the outskirts of Dublin, which will be mostly motorway, it's a long time on a bike for a novice, you'd probably want a nice touring/faired bike.

As already mentioned, servicing will get expensive if you're doing 150km+ per day, average service interval is around 10k km, you'll be servicing it every 14 weeks!

OP, what are your goals/reasoning to get a bike? and what is your budget?

Thanks Colm. The main reason is to save time as if I was in a car I would be stuck in traffic to get to my job for too long. At the moment I cycle but if I get the bus it can take an hour or 40 min by car and I am only 6.6k away. Once I move I need a better option. I only have a small budget about 2k as I am saving for a house also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

After gear and the IBT that budget will be much smaller. I am sure you will find an ok bike for that money but you'd have to look hard to find a good one.

Can I ask where in Dublin you're working and where you're thinking of moving to. Can you tell us the distance or types of roads you'll be on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Gun Monkey

What age are you? It will make a difference when it comes to applying for a permit? If you are an auld codger like me you can go straight onto a bigger bike, if ur a young fella you may only be eligible for a chicken chaser!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

just something to note the insurance companies may not want to quote you for commuting cover without a year experience and they might only offer social, domestic, & pleasure cover

if you don't have the use of a car as your main mode of transport the quote will really eat into your 2k euro budget

your 2k euro budget could be a bit optimistic all told.. the IBT is 500 euro, your insurance several hundred, few hundred for a helmet, few hundred for the rest of your gear, then the bike itself, tools & servicing & tax, theory test 35 or something, 35 for the permit, 55 for the full license 90 odd to take the test

zubair wrote: »
    After gear and the IBT that budget will be much smaller. I am sure you will find an ok bike for that money but you'd have to look hard to find a good one.

Can I ask where in Dublin you're working and where you're thinking of moving to. Can you tell us the distance or types of roads you'll be on.

I work in baggot street and will more than likely be moving to meath. So it's going to be a long drive each day. Depending where in go anywhere from 55-94km each way. Roads are mostly good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Commuting by bike is great most of the time as you really save time. However for that sort of distance I would think twice if it is all year round(especially if there is no car available?)

€2000 budget should be for the bike only.
    IBT approx €500
    Gear approx €1000
    Insurance depending on bike from €400 up to $$$$
    Tax €88
    Plus cleaning products, chain lube etc

Imo around €4k would be a more realistic budget.

As mentioned above don't underestimate the servicing costs etc.

MSVforever wrote: »
    Commuting by bike is great most of the time as you really save time. However for that sort of distance I would think twice if it is all year round(especially if there is no car available?)

€2000 budget should be for the bike only.
    IBT approx €500
    Gear approx €1000
    Insurance depending on bike from €400 up to $$$$
    Tax €88
    Plus cleaning products, chain lube etc

Imo around €4k would be a more realistic budget.

As mentioned above don't underestimate the servicing costs etc.

Thanks. I would ideally like to commute all year round however I am realistic and will be looking to be near enough a train/bus station so that if needed I have that option as a car just wouldn't work as the traffic near my job is a nightmare.. Ok so I better up the budget!

Can anyone recommend any books or websites that would show how to look after the bike: cleaning, maintenance etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

look up delboys garage on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

+1 to Delboy

Here's a good place to start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I think 4k all in is a more realistic number as per the lads. Personally i wouldn't spend 1k on gear when starting out, just buy the beginner stuff and upgrade over time also check donedeal, there's lots of gear for cheaps on there, perfect for beginners (don't buy a second hand lid). You'd be well protected and dry for less than 500. Put your insurance on DD so you're paying throughout the year. tax is SFA. That's more money for a better ride. You just need a bottle of lube, duck tape and wd40 :D. Most of this stuff you accumulate over time, for some this includes multiple motorbikes.

The best advice any of us can now give you once you've decided to go for it is do the theory, get your permit and find a good IBT instructor. There's a good community here and a wealth of information online, you will learn all you need to and want to about bikes overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

With an hour commute I'd get something like a Deauville.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/02-honda-deauville-nt-650cc/15279894

In days of raining or just low temperatures the protection you get from a touring style bike is great. It's shaft drive so you don't have to worry about chain maintenance. It has room to carry stuff. It's a Honda, so ultra reliable.

There's a lot to be said for a screen and some fairing protection on the legs when you're doing an hour a day commute, especially if you have any distance on a motorway. Not the coolest looking bike, but really practical.

Disclosure: I've no idea about how learner permits, ibt and all that shíte work these days, so no idea if a 650 is legally an option for a learner! I did my test when there was less red tape.

Advertisement