Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian working in Ireland - anything I need to know about tax?

Options
  • 18-04-2017 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

As the title says, Im a Canadian working/living in Ireland. The tax system seems much less complicated here then it is in Canada, where there are a myriad of taxes/deductions/credits, etc that you need to be aware of. I just finished my first full year of work here.

That said, is there anything I should know about taxes that I might be able get back? Single male, renting an apartment, still in school part time.

Also, what is a P60? Or, more specifically, what am I meant to do with it!?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Hi,

As the title says, Im a Canadian working/living in Ireland. The tax system seems much less complicated here then it is in Canada, where there are a myriad of taxes/deductions/credits, etc that you need to be aware of. I just finished my first full year of work here.

That said, is there anything I should know about taxes that I might be able get back? Single male, renting an apartment, still in school part time.

Thanks in advance!

P60 is just a record from your employer of pay and tax for the the tax year. It should match the cumulative pay and tax figure on your final payslip of the year. An electronic copy is filed by your employer with the revenue at the end of the tax year also.

Ensure you are registered for Revenue's self service channel for ease of contact and checking/updating any of your details with Revenue. A bit of reading I'm the link below may assist you. But in short, if you only have one job and no other source of income you should be fine. The main thing you can claim tax back on is health expenses.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/paye-tcc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Assuming you are non domiciled here, but resident, for tax purposes, you'll be taxed in the state on all Irish sourced income. If you have earnings outside of Ireland, and bring it into Ireland, then it becomes taxable here, if you don't bring it in its not taxable. Called the remittance basis of taxation.

PRSI, if you are here for a short time, you may be able to not pay prsi, and pay it back home. This would be relevant for your social insurance purposes.

Advertisement