Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty laptop

Options
  • 18-04-2017 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Appreciate if someone can tell me if a retailer can insist on a repair instead of a replacement or refund for a faulty laptop?

We bought 2 of these in 2 different establishments. 1st one (son's) was faulty so he brought it back to the 1st retailer, who insisted on a repair. The repair took 6+ weeks (he needed it for college), and the fault recurred after he got it back - that retailer then agreed to a refund.

Now the 2nd one is faulty but a 6+ weeks repair is not an option as my daughter needs it for college and has exams coming up. Also, I believe it is a design fault as it occurred in both devices. Do I have a right to a refund? (we will be buying an alternative device).

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

It's up to the retailer to decide how to proceed Repair, Replace or Refund.

If it's a design issue maybe check the manufacturer website in case there's a recall for them, also try contacting the manufacturer directly to explain the issue as they might give you other options if it's a known issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

what seems to be the fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

As with all faulty items the customer cannot insist or demand anything, and I would steer clear of taking that attitude if you do take the laptop back as it will help no-one and only get the retailer's back up (understandably).

The retailer has to offer one of the 'R's to you but there is nothing anywhere that says it has to be a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you had bought them both in the same place, then you might have a stronger case for rejecting a repair on the second laptop.

Go to the shop first, and see what they suggest. If they suggest a repair, you can mention the first laptop and how it's experienced the same issues. That might be enough to persuade them, but I'd be ready for them to offer a repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

The retailer has to offer one of the 3 options, the customer can refuse the offer but the option then is to go to the small claims court, you can't force the retailer to give you a refund.
    Also do take into account the scc would question a refusal to allow a repair as a first step as that is normal procedure.

Realistically unless the item is brand new you can't expect a refund of full price, even the scc would take value off depending on how long it's been used.
    Let them send it off and it'll be repaired or replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Thanks for all the replies. The fault is the screen keeps going blank, either totally or in parts, as if there is a faulty connection. It is a hybrid / touch screen. The reason I would be nervous of getting it repaired is because the manufacturer (Lenovo) took over 6 weeks to repair my son's one (the retailer quoted less than 2 weeks). However, my daughter has college exams starting in 2 weeks, so cannot be without it for such a long period. Is 6 weeks considered acceptable?

muckety wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. The fault is the screen keeps going blank, either totally or in parts, as if there is a faulty connection. It is a hybrid / touch screen. The reason I would be nervous of getting it repaired is because the manufacturer (Lenovo) took over 6 weeks to repair my son's one (the retailer quoted less than 2 weeks). However, my daughter has college exams starting in 2 weeks, so cannot be without it for such a long period. Is 6 weeks considered acceptable?

It probably wasn't the manufacturer itself, most laptops are sent to a repair centre.
    Yes it can take a while if parts are needed, until they send it away they won't know what the problem is or how long it'll take to fix, maybe this time the parts are available and it won't take as long.

If it's unusable you need to take it back and let them assess it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Did they tell you what the problem was with the last 1? it's unusual for a connection to cause partial screen blankness. is there white lines going from 1 end of the screen to the other or any signs of black ink spots on the screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The retailer must complete the repair etc. within a reasonable time and without significant inconvienance. If they can't do this, buy another one from a decent retailer like Amazon (actually Amazn not someone selling on amazon) or Komplett and look for a partial refund through the small claims procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Plug in an external monitor and use it like a desktop until after the exam period. Then send for repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Thanks again for the replies. Retailer no 2 explained it has to go for repair as they will not be compensated by the manufacturer for refunding a faulty device without having had it sent for repair. Repair can take up to 5 weeks. If the fault recurs, it has to go for repair again - after a potential 3rd repair, if not resolved, they can credit me for the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

Thanks again for the replies. Retailer no 2 explained it has to go for repair as they will not be compensated by the manufacturer for refunding a faulty device without having had it sent for repair. Repair can take up to 5 weeks. If the fault recurs, it has to go for repair again - after a potential 3rd repair, if not resolved, they can credit me for the device.

If the same fault occurs again its absolute fiction that it has to go for repair again. A repair must be permanent so if the same fault occurs a second time then they have the option of refund or replacement.

This 3rd repair crap does my head in.

Well no that's not correct op, please remind them a repair should be permanent and if not you will expect a refund or replacement immediately.

From -http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods

"If you start using the item for some time then it is deemed that you have accepted the item. But if you discover a fault then you are entitled to have the item repaired or replaced free of charge – provided you did not cause the damage. If the fault occurs within the first 6 months of owning the item, it is accepted that the fault was there when you bought it. In general, the seller can offer to repair the item first. This should be a permanent repair and the problem should not reoccur. If the same fault occurs again, then you should be entitled to a replacement or refund. If you are not happy with the retailer’s offer to repair the item, you can say no - but if you do this, you may have to use the Small Claims process if you want to take the matter further."

Advertisement