Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Floodlight Cam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm interested but I want to see what nest are doing first.

They're rumoured to be entering the doorbell market (which is logical) and if so I'd probably jump from ring as I see it as being more beneficial in terms of ecosystem being more tightly integrated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

OU812 wrote:
    They're rumoured to be entering the doorbell market (which is logical) and if so I'd probably jump from ring as I see it as being more beneficial in terms of ecosystem being more tightly integrated

I'm the exact same have the outdoor cam, nest thermostat and two nest protects. Be watching nests activity on this big time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Got one of these a few weeks ago due to a number of burglaries in the houses backing on to me.

Installation wasn't too difficult. Just needed a long masonry sds hammer drill bit (if you've to drill through the wall!). Only issue I ran into with installation was that I had not tightened the ground down enough and when I activated it everything worked but the camera was just black. Thought I had a dodgy unit. Turned out when I opened it up the ground was disconnected so before I took it all down I connected it up while hanging from the hook and the camera worked :)

Works very well, set the zones up in app then tested it myself a few times, worked perfect. Floodlights are nice and bright too.

The only big issue with it is that you'll need a decent wifi signal, it has a very short range pickup. Luckily I could move my router to halfway between my Ring Pro, the ring floodlight and my canary cam. All are working well now but I'm in a small 3 bed so any bigger and it'd be a problem.

Any questions ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I don't have one personally as I'm in an apartment (I have the Ring Video Doorbell 2 though), but neighbours in houses that I chat with every so often have them installed after recent burglaries and late night snoopers and they have been very effective. Caught a few breaking into cars, reported the evidence to local PD who knew who they were...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭paulbok

Have one recently installed and the only issue I'm having is with the sensor sensitivity.
    The lowest setting isn't great, my wife came home yesterday evening in the car, and neither the car arriving or her getting out and walking to the house through the monitored zone set it off.
    I changed it to the next setting level up, and got loads of false alarms. Can't be 100% but seemed to be picking up and triggering with movement outside the monitored zones.

There could be more customisation for the settings, fairly limited for time for monitoring and notifications.
    E.g certain time in certain zone

No issues setting it up, I did have one drop off on WiFi on the second day, but none since.
    Really good picture quality, not as good as the pro doorbell, but very clear none the less.
    Audio quality so-so each way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

paulbok wrote: »
    Have one recently installed and the only issue I'm having is with the sensor sensitivity.
    The lowest setting isn't great, my wife came home yesterday evening in the car, and neither the car arriving or her getting out and walking to the house through the monitored zone set it off.
    I changed it to the next setting level up, and got loads of false alarms. Can't be 100% but seemed to be picking up and triggering with movement outside the monitored zones.

There could be more customisation for the settings, fairly limited for time for monitoring and notifications.
    E.g certain time in certain zone

No issues setting it up, I did have one drop off on WiFi on the second day, but none since.
    Really good picture quality, not as good as the pro doorbell, but very clear none the less.
    Audio quality so-so each way.

Yeah, I do not believe the zones are accurate and to get the best out of it you need the sensitivity at at least half if not more. Make sure that the sensor “ball” is parallel to the ground as per the instructions to get the best distance.

Advertisement