Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One way car rental for 3 weeks

Options
  • 18-04-2017 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,
    My family (2 adults and 2 kids) are renting a car in NY in July for 3 weeks driving down to Orlando stopping along the way and returning it there after our holiday.
    A couple of things i need help with please :)
    1. one way rental fee - expedia and some other sites don't seem to include this when i check the small print
    2. extra fees like collision waiver/ super collision waiver - will i be hit with extra fees when i get there?
    4. I was thinking of going to New Jersey for the car as it's cheaper.

If anyone has experience of this i would love to hear from you.
    many thanks,johnny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

johnnyreb wrote: »
    Hi,
    My family (2 adults and 2 kids) are renting a car in NY in July for 3 weeks driving down to Orlando stopping along the way and returning it there after our holiday.
    A couple of things i need help with please :)
    1. one way rental fee - expedia and some other sites don't seem to include this when i check the small print
    2. extra fees like collision waiver/ super collision waiver - will i be hit with extra fees when i get there?
    4. I was thinking of going to New Jersey for the car as it's cheaper.

If anyone has experience of this i would love to hear from you.
    many thanks,johnny

1. Some car rental places don't charge one way fees. IIRC Hertz is one of them.
    2. Maybe? At a minimum you need CDW, this may be covered by your CC if you pay for car hire. Might be worth getting personal liability too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 johnnyreb

Thank you very much for replying. Another idea i had was to take out car hire insurance like this one https://www.blueinsurance.ie/NewCEPolicyAMTStep1.asp?AgencyID=1318%20&BandID=159&Area=WW&Type=AnnualW

1. Some car rental places don't charge one way fees. IIRC Hertz is one of them.
    2. Maybe? At a minimum you need CDW, this may be covered by your CC if you pay for car hire. Might be worth getting personal liability too.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

I've never found a reputable car hire place that doesn't charge one way fee in the US...including Hertz, and they're usually one of the more expensive anyway. The fee obviously depends where your going. I've been able to knock some $ off the fee by dropping off half way & picking up a new car...eg: Salt Lake City to SF and changing cars in Vegas. Couldn't get out of it for SF to Denver last year...$300. All places I priced told me off this fee in big writing, not in small print. It's payable in the US.
    I've never had extra fees when picking up the car, unless you want upgrade or the extra insurance etc. I decline all them, but your choice.

myate wrote: »
    I've never found a reputable car hire place that doesn't charge one way fee in the US...including Hertz, and they're usually one of the more expensive anyway. The fee obviously depends where your going. I've been able to knock some $ off the fee by dropping off half way & picking up a new car...eg: Salt Lake City to SF and changing cars in Vegas. Couldn't get out of it for SF to Denver last year...$300. All places I priced told me off this fee in big writing, not in small print. It's payable in the US.
    I've never had extra fees when picking up the car, unless you want upgrade or the extra insurance etc. I decline all them, but your choice.

I rented last year, picked up in SF dropped off in Seattle, no one way charge with Hertz.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

If you book on Hertz website the fee is included as part of the cost. If you book via 3rd party site it's usually an extra payment when you pick up the car. If you got went with Hertz without the fee, well done! As a gold member I can never get out of that!

• Advertisement

myate wrote: »
    If you book on Hertz website the fee is included as part of the cost. If you book via 3rd party site it's usually an extra payment when you pick up the car. If you got went with Hertz without the fee, well done! As a gold member I can never get out of that!

Just to follow up on this. I asked my wife who did the booking and she said that Hertz told her that they have a certain number of one way rentals that they allow at a time and once this inventory is exhausted, they start charging one way rental fees. So if you book early enough (with Hertz anyway) then there's a chance of not being charged for it. She booked 4 or 5 months in advance.

Advertisement