Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting bare, unplastered wall

Options
  • 18-04-2017 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'm just about to start painting the walls that surround my garden - which are bare, unplastered, never painted before walls.

I'm thinking of the following but would love some advice

1 - Clean down wall with wire brush, removing any loose stones etc
    2 - First coat of thinned (10-15%) masonry paint using masonry roller
    3 - Second coat of non thinned paint.

Am I missing anything in the above? I have a fear this is going to be a pain in the a$$ - any experienced painters out there will to pass on some advice!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

smythy25 wrote: »
    I'm just about to start painting the walls that surround my garden - which are bare, unplastered, never painted before walls.

I'm thinking of the following but would love some advice

1 - Clean down wall with wire brush, removing any loose stones etc
    2 - First coat of thinned (10-15%) masonry paint using masonry roller
    3 - Second coat of non thinned paint.

Am I missing anything in the above? I have a fear this is going to be a pain in the a$$ - any experienced painters out there will to pass on some advice!?

Replace step 2 with one coat of stabilising primer and you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

smythy25 wrote: »

Well I wouldn't do it in the first place.

It will be a pain to maintain, will get stained etc ...

In any event to get any sort of decent finish on bare concrete block will require, IMHO, a sprayer of some sort to get into all the nooks and crannies

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

Well I wouldn't do it in the first place.

It will be a pain to maintain, will get stained etc ...

In any event to get any sort of decent finish on bare concrete block will require, IMHO, a sprayer of some sort to get into all the nooks and crannies

It's just raw blockwork. Masonry roller and decent brush will get a good result. If treated with stabilizing primer, it'll be years before you will need to revisit. Raw blockwork just looks sh1te IMO. A painted surface is much nicer, not to mention brighter.

Advertisement