Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Driving?

Options
  • 17-04-2017 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

So, today I was driving back from the shops crossed a bridge which loops to the right then on a road where you would find it difficult to pass two cars through at the same time, there was a I assume a family walking 3 across so the third was practically in the middle of the road. I slowed slightly moved to the right, it was enough time for them to all move to the side. What is making me slightly worried is that I saw them walking into my estate looking at my licence plate.
    I personally don't consider it dangerous driving or speeding because I was definatley under 50 kmh and I can't find any sign to say what the speed is on the particular road but I assume i goes under a built up area even though its more of a country road.
    Anyway I was just wondering what, if any are the legal implications and should I take steps to get ahead of any legal implications?

(just to add my 15 year old brother was in the car, so I guess there is another witness)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Being under the speed limit doesn't stop whatever being dangerous driving. That said I can't see anything wrong there. Did you come close to hitting them or give them a close pass or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jamesgrozz

That that I noticed but It was a small road, and from their point of view I could not be sure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 242 ✭✭PREG1967

jamesgrozz wrote: »
    So, today I was driving back from the shops crossed a bridge which loops to the right then on a road where you would find it difficult to pass two cars through at the same time, there was a I assume a family walking 3 across so the third was practically in the middle of the road. I slowed slightly moved to the right, it was enough time for them to all move to the side. What is making me slightly worried is that I saw them walking into my estate looking at my licence plate.
    I personally don't consider it dangerous driving or speeding because I was definatley under 50 kmh and I can't find any sign to say what the speed is on the particular road but I assume i goes under a built up area even though its more of a country road.
    Anyway I was just wondering what, if any are the legal implications and should I take steps to get ahead of any legal implications?

(just to add my 15 year old brother was in the car, so I guess there is another witness)

how do u know they were looking at your license plate?

They would have to turn around and go into my estate and then they were looking at my car, I only assumed that is what they were doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 242 ✭✭PREG1967

jamesgrozz wrote: »
    They would have to turn around and go into my estate and then they were looking at my car, I only assumed that is what they were doing.

seems a bit of a leap to me, perhaps they wanted to make you paranoid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Gooser14

jamesgrozz wrote:
    So, today I was driving back from the shops crossed a bridge which loops to the right then on a road where you would find it difficult to pass two cars through at the same time, there was a I assume a family walking 3 across so the third was practically in the middle of the road. I slowed slightly moved to the right, it was enough time for them to all move to the side. What is making me slightly worried is that I saw them walking into my estate looking at my licence plate. I personally don't consider it dangerous driving or speeding because I was definatley under 50 kmh and I can't find any sign to say what the speed is on the particular road but I assume i goes under a built up area even though its more of a country road. Anyway I was just wondering what, if any are the legal implications and should I take steps to get ahead of any legal implications?

Just wondering why you say Dangerous Driving in the title. Do you think what you did was dangerous?

No, but I was wondering from a legal stand point could it be considered dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

How could you have made it less dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Sounds like you passed too close and too fast - otherwise why the guilty conscience? I'd expect more of a stern word to be had more than anything else, they probably wanted the reg to report you to traffic watch. Given no one was hurt and it would just be witness statements I'd hazard a guess dangerous driving would be a tough sell.

If in doubt STOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Consider what S.53 of the RTA 1961 says about the offence namely that a person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place at a speed or in a manner which, having regard to all the circumstances of the case (including the nature, condition and use of the place and the amount of traffic which then actually is or might reasonably be expected then to be therein) is dangerous to the public.

LINK http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/enacted/en/print#sec53

You can endanger a person even though you make no physical contact but where you expose them to a hazard or risk of injury.

I suspect that you simply made an error of judgment. What is good about this is that you seem to realise that this might be classified as the motoring equivalent of a "near miss". So, add this episode to the log book of your driving experience and learn from it. Most vitally, nobody was hit or injured.

• Advertisement
Advertisement