Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm considering starting up a private sewing lesson business

Options
  • 17-04-2017 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi, I was thinking of starting to offer private sewing lessons to teenagers and adults in either their home or mine. Do you think there would be any market for this? My day job was tutoring computers and literacy to people with an intellectual disability so I feel that I would be able to do the teaching side. But I'm not so sure about tax, insurance and what to charge. How do I go about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

I would have thought that classes could well be popular enough. Not so sure about private tuition,unless it had a "make your own wedding dress/ballgown/whatever" angle. I'd imagine there may be interest in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 carrighead

That's very interesting, I like the idea of there being an angle, something that could potentially set me apart from the group classes, thank you :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

It may not take off but I think something along the lines like,teaching work men to fix new zips,sowing holds in the in-between the legs bit and fixing the ends of trousers would be good.
    I know myself I feel robbed getting work gear sown and buttons put in blazers.it can be dear for what it is.

For the record I know nothing about the needle and thread!haha.might be a good idea though,I know a few fellas who would go and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

My first thought is if you will also provide a sewing machine to each student for the class. E.g. I would love to learn but don't own one and would take a set of classes before buying one altogether - many may go the same route. 
    As with everything it would probably depend on pricing and how you plan to advertise it. I hope you can make it work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I know a lady that offers crochet lessons in her own home.
    Everyone meets there on a certain night, pays her fee and she provides tea/coffee whilst everyone sits around crocheting; she helps everyone individually with different projects and teaches total beginners too.

It's great and hugely popular.

If you have the room could you offer something similar?
    Set up some tables with extension leads for the machines to be plugged into, you may be able to fit in a few people at once.

I think you'd have more luck with that than you would with one on one lessons :)

I done a sewing course a few years back, I paid €180 for a 6 week course including materials and there were about 12 of us in the class.
    We made a cushion and an apron over that time (it was for beginners who had never used a machine before)
    The machines were provided.

I hope it works out for you, good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 carrighead

thanks everyone for the great ideas, I'm going to go for it but I want to do it right as I don't want to ruin my reputation/name. lots of work ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

carrighead wrote: »
    Hi, I was thinking of starting to offer private sewing lessons to teenagers and adults in either their home or mine. Do you think there would be any market for this? My day job was tutoring computers and literacy to people with an intellectual disability so I feel that I would be able to do the teaching side. But I'm not so sure about tax, insurance and what to charge. How do I go about this?

Hi
    I hope you do not mind me asking this as its totally off topic but how did you go about becomming a literacy tutor to individual with an intellectual disability?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 43 liselle81

I would theoretically be very interesting in sewing classes depending on the price anyway :-)

Regarding the legal side of things, I'd recommend calling in to Citizen's Information or even just having a look at their website for infomation on what you'd have to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Id be interested too. I have clothes that break, and i'd love to be able to alter some shirts to fit better too. It seems simple enough to learn the basics if shown correctly.
    Working professional man, who regularly needs little bits down but never makes it to a tailor!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

It is a great idea! As one who would love to have a masterclass in using a sewing machine.. If you want to do a freebie or a one off to get some feed back id be all up for it.. It is really difficult to learn how to use the machines or get he basic sowing skills and other than the course they have in the 2nd schools that seems to be all that is out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I would love this! Keep us updated op :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think its a good idea. Teach cubs and scouts how to sew their badges on. Do session with the local scouts and cubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ashmc79

Hi There I am doing this at the moment in Co. Clare but about 3 miles outside Limerick - it is going well so far I teach kids aged 8-12 after school and have birthday parties at weekends - the original outlay wasn't too bad I bought 6 machines per class of 8 but need to upgrade these now as I am starting classes for adults in september in regards fabrics etc I purchase in guineys a lot but am upgrading to a wholesaler just down to the cost of buying - all I needed was garda vetting and found IOMST great for the public liability (I was teaching the classes in local schools but have my own premises now - found it impossible to do from home in relation to space and business insurance won't cover a home and home insurance wont cover a business if you know what I mean) - sorry for long post!!! Local enterprise board were great for funding and will give more funds soon to expand especially if there is a community element of the business ie my local seniors group and men's she'd are welcome to use machines and when I'm not teaching I do alterations, curtains and blinds and personalised memory gifts mainly through my Facebook page (sew inspired) best of luck with it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Could you link your fb page? I cant seem to find it.

That'll work hopefully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

ashmc79 wrote: »
    That'll work hopefully!!

Wow, that's great, well done.

I teach machine knitting and have had a pretty similar experience, the enterprise board are great.

I initially got garda vetting through another company but now have to get it on my own.

I love the community element and have receive great support from different community centres. There are too many kids in my house to teach from home so I always rent a room! Usually in a hotel or community hall. Joining the craft council also gives access to tailored insurance.

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jamerican

I know this is an old thread, but perhaps someone could help. I am thinking of starting private beginner sewing lessons from my home, as I don't have the space for a group. About how much would you charge (or even pay) for one hour of one on one lesson?

First you need to work out your costs.
    You need public liability insurance and your home insurance may be invalid if you trade from home.

A better solution is to rent a local venue.

Work out your costs and the rate you need to earn per hour and a learning plan. Once tut have these, you have a product and then you can test market it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SSR

I am not sure where you are, but I would love to be student. I just posted to another website asking for private instruction. I am interested in improv dressmaking. How soon are you thinking of doing this?

• Advertisement

What area do you live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

ashmc79 wrote: »

Hi I just saw your face book page some similar things to my own I love your teddies bought heaps of different patterns till i finally found one i was happy with' Do you do machine embroidery as well I have the brother 750e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Jamerican wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread, but perhaps someone could help. I am thinking of starting private beginner sewing lessons from my home, as I don't have the space for a group. About how much would you charge (or even pay) for one hour of one on one lesson?

If you were a qualified tutor i would charge 10e per hour of maybe a bit less depending what you would be sewing

Advertisement