Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church vandalized in Longford-Discuss the vandalism and robbery only

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

its members

*smug emoji*

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It wasn't just vandalism, stuff was stolen too.

Maybe it was vandals who nicked some stuff while they were at it, or maybe theft was the main motive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Scumbags. Hope the Gardai catch em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

osarusan wrote: »
    It wasn't just vandalism, stuff was stolen too.

Maybe it was vandals who nicked some stuff while they were at it, or maybe theft was the main motive.

Title edited. My bad on that front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

scumbag thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

its members

*smug emoji*

Shame there isn't a "plonker" emoji. The fact people would stoop so low as to rob and damage a place of worship is disgusting. Be that a mosque, a synagogue, a church or a Temple. Some things should be classed as "nah, you don't do that sort of gougery, nasty, morally low thing". I for one hope they get caught and add yet another conviction to their no doubt long string of convictions. Dirtbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Imagine have so little going on upstairs that you get your kicks from the needless destruction of other peoples property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Why is there such a big deal being made over a church being vandalised? How is it any way special compared to someones home or business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Why is there such a big deal being made over a church being vandalised? How is it any way special compared to someones home or business?
    It's like when some scumt vandalises a GAA clubhouse. It isn't just affecting one person, it's affecting the community. It's low. You personally may have no regard for the church, that's your prerogative. Me personally, I don't go to one. But I know why you don't damage one. That's called "having a moral compass". You don't need to be religious to respect peoples religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Longford has a large number of families who enjoy gathering metal and other peoples property.... Can't be too hard to find out who is responsible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Barbie! wrote: »
    Church vandalized in Longford-Discuss the vandalism and robbery only.

Stuff got broken, probably illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

These days you'd want to have tracking devices on all possessions. I'm not a practising Catholic but this is scummy behaviour out of whoever did this. Hope they find out who did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If they're as thick as some of the other scumbags that make the news, they've probably taken photos and uploaded them to social media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

It's a public space for one thing, and the communal property of its members.
    The local Catholic community financially support the upkeep of the building and it and its contents are very important and precious to them on several levels.
    Whole families in the locale have for generations been baptised married and buried from that building.
    To see it smashed and desecrated is traumatising.
    It's also terrifying for people living in a remote rural area to be reminded that gangs of sociopathic scumbags can descend destroy and disappear in the night without being spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Years ago in my parish church, two local scobes crowbarred a door in an attempt to nick money. My dad heard them and the two lads did a legger with a plate of money; one of them tripped up and Dad grabbed him while the other was literally rugby tackled by a fully robed clergyman. The peelers were up fairly quick and as they were led into the cop car, one of them was heard to say "I wasn't stealing it, I was only taking it!". Cost several hundred £ to make good their damage for the about £30 they stood to gain.

Naturally FA happened to them in the end but it's reassuring to know that one of the scrotes has since since murdered in one of the city drug wars; second chances eh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

bonzos wrote: »
    Longford has a large number of families who enjoy gathering metal and other peoples property.... Can't be too hard to find out who is responsible

Umm, they're usually more religious, at least outwardly, than the 'majority' population.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Umm, they're usually more religious, at least outwardly, than the 'majority' population.

That's fading now. The more serious travelling gangs which originate in halting sites in Dublin don't recognise so much of the old taboos anymore

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Not the first time that scummers targetted churches in Longford and it won't be the last either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

a direct quote
    " if god didnt want me to have it he wouldn't have let me see it "

not just a different culture but also a different breed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Utter w@nkers to do something like that. It does nothing but hurt the community.

Mind you, it is not as low as those thugs who, in 1996, broke in to St Michans crypt, piled the bones of 40 people in a pile and apparently played football with the skulls of some of the corpses/mummies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement