Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birth Marriage Death Records

Options
  • 17-04-2017 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if the BMD records for Ireland, i.e. Civil registration of Deaths, etc are registered in chronological order?

I have a missing relative that I cannot trace and I was thinking that if I went through the month which I think she died in, in the district I think she died in, I might find her on a page, not transcribed?

Nuts idea, or is there a bit of sense in it!?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Not nuts at all.
    Where possible I often go through a record set manually and though time consuming it's well worth it if you find what you're looking for.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Thanks Pinkypinky and Hermy! Its good to know it makes sense in theory...I don't mind putting in the legwork once I know its possible to find a solution!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

But plenty of the records seem to be simply 'missing'. Several times I've scrolled through chronologically only to find they cut off before the required date, to be followed by records from a different district. Sometimes there's even a blank page. When combined with no search results, this seems to confirm that the entries just aren't there.

But plenty of the records seem to be simply 'missing'. Several times I've scrolled through chronologically only to find they cut off before the required date, to be followed by records from a different district. Sometimes there's even a blank page. When combined with no search results, this seems to confirm that the entries just aren't there.

Just a quick update on this....

I did the whole "back a page(or 20!)" "forward a page(or 20!)" in the hope of coming across a missing record, but no joy.

My assumption in relation to this relative is that she died in childbirth during the birth of her son. So, logically I went looking for her sons record as a starting point...again missing record! I have a baptism cert from the local church confirming date of birth but outside of that, nothing. Both people in the instance are deceased so getting further info from a direct source is difficult...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Are you looking in the right district, within the registration district?

Each SRD was broken down into 4 or 5 registration districts/dispensary districts (confusingly called)

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Are you looking in the right district, within the registration district?

Each SRD was broken down into 4 or 5 registration districts/dispensary districts (confusingly called)

Thanks Pinkypinky,

Yes I know what you mean about the districts. I'm concentrating on the Boyle district, and further broken down into Boyle No.1 district, as apposed to Ballyfarnon or Gurteen, or indeed Boyle No.2!

There's also the possibility that it may be part of Sligo Hospital either, but searching using either the mothers name or childs name turn up no practicable result.

Advertisement