Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick one

Options
  • 17-04-2017 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

Not for legal forum, just wondering,

What is the story with an advertised price on a website.

I found an item yesterday priced incorrectly, bought it and paid the shipping. Is the shop bound to send it or can they refund me and tell me to bog off??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Invitation to treat, they can refund you. Check their t&cs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's an 'invitation to treat' and they are not bound by it until the sale is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

ardinn wrote: »
    Not for legal forum, just wondering,

What is the story with an advertised price on a website.

I found an item yesterday priced incorrectly, bought it and paid the shipping. Is the shop bound to send it or can they refund me and tell me to bog off??

They're not bound to sell at that price no. IVe seen this before on forums where people find what they think is a great deal, people pile in and buy the thing only to have the order cancelled, money refunded and item relisted with a higher (correct) price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

That said, sometimes they may ship it to you at the advertised price either as a gesture of good will or because they have not spotted the error.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

It's an 'invitation to treat' and they are not bound by it until the sale is closed.

At what point is the sale closed? Surely that's at the moment they take payment for it, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

kenmc wrote: »
    At what point is the sale closed? Surely that's at the moment they take payment for it, no?

When they complete the sale by acceptance. Submitted payments on line don't constitute acceptance by the seller until dispatch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I'm expecting a phone call on it tomorrow - I'll play hardball either way - maybe someone in the office will have a sore head after the bhw and either not notice it or not have the patience to deal with a difficult customer!

Advertisement