Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car. Octavia or Duster?

Options
  • 17-04-2017 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

I am planning to buy a new car. I really liked corolla. When I went to Toyota, they said with 5000 deposit, I need to pay 343 per month in pcp.
    So I looked for Octavia. It seems 200 per month in website. When I went for duster, it is 204 per month. Octavia has 0% apr. Which one should I prefer, Octavia or Duster in terms of driving comfort. Any way,it is to be returned after 3 years and will get a new one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,393 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You still need to pay a deposit to get an Octavia for €199 a month. Around 30% so around €7-8k
    Minimum deposit is 10% but this pushes your payments up considerably.

By the looks of it, you really need to read up on how PCP works.

As a rough example, with a 30% deposit on a €24k car, you're talking roughly €8k deposit, €8k guaranteed minimum value after 3 years and financing €8k over 3 years.

The value the car brings into the deal in 3 years time is the difference between what it's worth and the €8k they guaranteed. If you want to keep the payments at €200 (asssuming the car is still the same price to buy) you need to top up the deposit to the level of the original deal (up to €8k, so if the cars worth €12.5k as a trade in, you're adding €3500)

Just a quick example.

Unfortunately, There is no magic finance product that suddenly makes something affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

Of the two cars though, Octavia all day long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

MarkN wrote: »
    Of the two cars though, Octavia all day long.

Absolutely. Strange shortlist. Very different cars. Octavia is a nice machine specced correctly, every time I see a Duster I know somebody just bought the cheapest new car they could find.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭vimalandrew

Thanks for the reply. I am going to buy the basic version of octavia. website says price of Octavia is 19590. With a 5000 deposit, it calculates monthly pcp as 191. If I go to their show room, will they give the same quote. Also I have a 2004 Fiat punto. Will they give a scrappage.
    This is because for duster, website says around 160 per month, but when went to shop, they said 204.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

Thanks for the reply. I am going to buy the basic version of octavia. website says price of Octavia is 19590. With a 5000 deposit, it calculates monthly pcp as 191. If I go to their show room, will they give the same quote. Also I have a 2004 Fiat punto. Will they give a scrappage.
    This is because for duster, website says around 160 per month, but when went to shop, they said 204.

If the Duster didn't mention deposit on website, that is a 'from' price. Same as when you see an ad for a new 5 series and it says €499 per month. With about €18,000 deposit it is yeah but they don't tell you that in the ad, or at least if they do it's in very small print :)

€5,000 is quite a bit of a deposit though, I'm sure you could do 10% with Skoda if you wanted slightly higher repayments but smaller deposit as you can do 10% with VW anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

I love the look of the Duster, and I don't give a poop about the 'poor mans car' image, but do yourself a favour and look at some long term tests of the car. People or magazines that reviewed the car after 100k km. I wouldn't buy a Duster but I'd buy an Ocativia in a heartbeat.

The OP is on about trading the car in after 3 years though.
    In that scenario the Duster would probably perform better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The OP is on about trading the car in after 3 years though.
    In that scenario the Duster would probably perform better.

Possibly would. If it's a pure cost thing and no desire to have a nicer car Duster might make sense. Apparently they aren't a bad car and there's plenty of them about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

bmwguy wrote: »
    Absolutely. Strange shortlist. Very different cars. Octavia is a nice machine specced correctly, every time I see a Duster I know somebody just bought the cheapest new car they could find.

I actually wouldn't agree tbh.

At least with the Duster it doesn't pretend to be anything other than cheap and basic transport. The Octavia in anything else other than base spec tries to portray itself as more than that when in reality it isn't.

I really feel Skoda have moved away from being the cheap budget brand they used to be and Dacia has filled that (very profitable) position.

This would be pure base spec.
    Keep in mind the basic duster is diesel too, that's extra on the Octavia.

Basic Octavia is white with black door handles and a 1.0 3-banger.

• Advertisement

I didn't notice duster as diesel. I am traveling only between Finglas to Dublin every working day morning and evening. Since I have 2 kids, not much travel other than that. Toyota manager said if you buy diesel, your car will be in workshop every two weeks with such a sort commute. Is it true fro diesel duster.

It's not strictly true for any diesel, so equally true for all diesels.
    For exclusively short journies petrol would be better suited. Without any longer runs you could run into issues with the particle filter. It certainly wouldn't be worth spending extra on a diesel.

Finally I booked Octavia today. Basic Petrol version. Gave a scrappage of 1500 for my old car. 2000 deposit= 3500 deposit. 237 euros per month on pcp. New facelift version which I will get at the end of may.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Finally I booked Octavia today. Basic Petrol version. Gave a scrappage of 1500 for my old car. 2000 deposit= 3500 deposit. 237 euros per month on pcp. New facelift version which I will get at the end of may.

You should ask for fog lights and alloys. I know we don,t get that much fog in this country but when we do you will be glad to have them and alloys just make a car look much better. Without them they never look as good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Base Octavia has front fog lights standard.
    Oddly, the base engine is the 1.2 86bhp, the 1.0 costs more but is more powerful.

Base Octavia has front fog lights standard.
    Oddly, the base engine is the 1.2 86bhp, the 1.0 costs more but is more powerful.

Will my new Octavia run fine with only 86hp.my friend said those with more than 90 are good.

You won't win any races but as its turbocharged it'll be much more capable than the 86bhp figure would suggest. There'll be a little bit of extra shove that'll make getting up to syour red a bit easier.

I paid 250 euros booking Octavia 2 weeks ago. Manager said they ordered it to the company. Suppose I change my mind to buy a new Dacia Logan. Is it okay. Will the Octavia dealer agree this. Will he face any issue in selling Octavia to another customer. I found Logan is cheap and big. Will they provide scrappage of 1500 for my old 2004 fiat punto.

Aren't there massive waiting lists on the Logan?

Is price really your only factor in buying a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

You won't win any races but as its turbocharged it'll be much more capable than the 86bhp figure would suggest. There'll be a little bit of extra shove that'll make getting up to syour red a bit easier.

Absolutely. I rented one during xmas and I was stunned. It was economical like a diesel and nippy as well - I've averaged something like 6.5l, mostly motorway driving around 140-150kmh (in fairness that was according to the dash).

• Advertisement

Aren't there massive waiting lists on the Logan?

Is price really your only factor in buying a car?

I didn't,t know that. How much I have to wait. I am having the perception that all new cars are good. Anyway it's driving comfort will be better than punto.

Oh no. Dacia said there is a waiting period of, 28 weeks for Logan petrol. Diesel is in stock. They also don,t provide scrappage. My punto is worth only 600 EUR. So I need to stick on to Octavia.

There are plenty cars out there that fit the bill tbh.
    Without being rude, it looks like you did minimal research before making the decision to buy.

Advertisement