Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church vandalized in Longford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Potkettle

No time here for religion but equally so for thieves and vandals. It's despicable but nothing of any consequence will be done anyway if they're caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Or maybe it's just a little kunt who knows the significance of the day and gets additional pleasure from the timing of the attack. A bit like the vandals who wait for a wall to be painted before destroying it with graffiti. Regardless of who did it od their reasoning it's a sh1tty thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

I don't know why people say the tabernacle would have no value. This tin box converts bread into the body of jesus. That's some powerful stuff. Surely it's worth millions, if not billions?
    If you tape enough of these boxes together, throw in a few loaves of bread, you could create some kind of superjesus. I don't think we can rule anything out at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

dav3 wrote: »
    I don't know why people say the tabernacle would have no value. This tin box converts bread into the body of jesus. That's some powerful stuff. Surely it's worth millions, if not billions?
    If you tape enough of these boxes together, throw in a few loaves of bread, you could create some kind of superjesus. I don't think we can rule anything out at this stage.

I was thinking it was probably staged by the very vatican itself in order to illicit sympathy for the cc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The tabernacle would contain the chalice and communion dish. They are worth a few bob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Apparently they left a hole where the tabernacle stood.
    The guards are looking into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

eviltwin wrote: »
    The tabernacle would contain the chalice and communion dish. They are worth a few bob.

And the door is usually gold plated, not wooden. Rob valuable metal, AND do it on a significant day. Double scumbaggery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Very scumbag thing to do. Doubt it was an action against the Catholic Church but rather stealing of precious metals.

Also, you can see the happiness in some posters here that this has happened. It's like some sort of mini victory for them wrapped up in mocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

If the place was just smashed up then it could add some credence to the theory that something untoward had happened... Maybe. But there were things stolen too apparently, so it's down to a disrespectful little scrote (or scrotes) I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Probably Nazi's, they'll be sorry when they open it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Think somebody has been watching too much Criminal minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

What's the tabernacle made of? wood, gold, MDF? and what exactly is inside it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They really should have done it Friday. It would have magically fixed itself by Sunday. Off scot free

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

D) The members of the Catholic Church have done faaaar more good for this country and its people than anyone else.

This is clearly a matter of opinion.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

LordSutch wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Allinall wrote: »
    My house was broken in to a couple of years ago.

By your wierd logic I'm now a sexual abuser.

You live in a church?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Re post #28, that's the Ark of the covenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Allinall

You live in a church?

No, but then neither do priests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Are we sure this isn't the second coming of Jesus?

That is his body in there after all. Apparently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

LordSutch wrote: »

Gold plated probably. Inside would be one or more chalices with the blessed hosts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Could be teenagers hopped up on satanic black metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Given the timing - Easter. It's very likely that it's someone whose done this for some kind of symbolic purpose.

I would think it needs to be handled with care.

It's likely they'll probably find the items or they'll be dumped somewhere.

I don't think there's much of a market for tabernacles, unless it's made out of copper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Don't tabernacles often contain gold? Honestly didn't consider this anything other than a common-or-garden theft myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,322 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It was probally the Atheists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Ladies and gentlemen. Knock it the hell off about abuse in the church. This story is not the time or place.

I'm locking this thread for a little while to clean it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Ok so out of a thread of 99 posts 64 posts have had to be deleted cause they are off topic.

Stick to discussing the theft and vandalism without dragging child abuse in to it.

Reopened and have a nice bank holiday Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

I rem this happening in our church when I was a kid, a good 20 years ago. Chalice and whatever else in tabernacle stolen. It was just local teens. I'd imagine it's the same story here. "Bored" kids on easter hols.
    Doesn't have to be an anti-church agenda!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

No Longford forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I'm not religious but that is terrible

It's a tiny church

Scumbags

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

You get people just attacking things for the sake of annoying people too.

I'm thinking of the people who destroy things like public automatic defibrillator stations, life saving equipment by rivers and beaches and smash up infrastructure equipment like telecommunications infrastructure, playgrounds or even small trees that have been planted.

Opinions in the church aside, it could simply be an act of vandalism for the sake of vandalism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement