Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Tramore?

• 16-04-2017 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

There doesn't seem to be any recent threads on people moving to live in Tramore, so I thought I'd just start a new one.

I'm 42, female, single and looking for a change in my life. I have a vague plan to move nearer to my parents (who don't live too far from Tramore) and start afresh. I've been there a few times recently just for a stroll along the prom, and spent several holidays there as a child. Now, I know a casual stroll or two, and rose-tinted childhood holiday memories don't hold much weight in such a life change, so I just though I'd see if any locals could tell me what it's like to actually live there year round.

In terms of employment, I'd be looking at Waterford probably, just general admin type stuff, unless something suitable came up locally.

-If I did move there, it would be nice to live within walking distance of the beach. What residential areas are nice? Which ones to avoid? My budget would be as small as possible ;)
    -Do the summer tourists put much extra strain on everyday services, like supermarkets, doctors, hairdressers, that sort of thing? (I know places like cafes and restaurants will be manic).
    -I would be hoping to develop a bit of a social life there - what sort of organisations/societies/groups are popular?
    -What else would you tell or advise someone who was thinking of coming to live in Tramore full time? Any pearls of wisdom or local secrets? :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

Moving to Waterford City may be a better option and you would have Tramore on your doorstep whenever u felt like it.

Tramore is usually buzzing in the summer but can be a bit quiet in the Winter. Always found it a good spot to visit in summer but wouldn't want to live there full time.

As I said Waterford City has a lot more going on but with easy access to all the beaches in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Yeah I imagine it would be pretty quiet during the winter months, haha!

I would, however, like to live within walking distance of a beach, so Tramore was my first choice as it is familiar to me. I think I've had enough of cities, tbh!

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Yeah I imagine it would be pretty quiet during the winter months, haha!

I would, however, like to live within walking distance of a beach, so Tramore was my first choice as it is familiar to me. I think I've had enough of cities, tbh!

In that case Tramore might suit u then. From my experience there's a great buzz out there in summer with plenty of tourists etc.

I was out there for a walk recently and it was very quiet with not many places open. Just about managed to find a place open for some food. That was on a Sunday so it would probably be busier during the week.

It's more or less the same set-up as any seaside town. Very busy in summer season and much quieter the rest of the year. Dunmore East is another place that might suit u too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

In that case Tramore might suit u then. From my experience there's a great buzz out there in summer with plenty of tourists etc.

I was out there for a walk recently and it was very quiet with not many places open. Just about managed to find a place open for some food. That was on a Sunday so it would probably be busier during the week.

It's more or less the same set-up as any seaside town. Very busy in summer season and much quieter the rest of the year. Dunmore East is another place that might suit u too.

PMSL at the image of you wandering the town ravenous for food, "just about" fending off starvation, clawing desperately on the locked doors of closed establishments as tumbleweed rolls down the roads - there's any number of places open and serving food at the weekend all year around, like Brooklyn, moe's, the sandcastle and the t-bay surf club on the lower prom itself. Or the vee bistro, the majestic, O'Shea's, raglan road, or mol's if you're happy to stroll uphill a bit. Or dooly's chipper on the far end of the prom, or any of several other choppers further up the town...

PMSL at the image of you wandering the town ravenous for food, "just about" fending off starvation, clawing desperately on the locked doors of closed establishments as tumbleweed rolls down the roads - there's any number of places open and serving food at the weekend all year around, like Brooklyn, moe's, the sandcastle and the t-bay surf club on the lower prom itself. Or the vee bistro, the majestic, O'Shea's, raglan road, or mol's if you're happy to stroll uphill a bit. Or dooly's chipper on the far end of the prom, or any of several other choppers further up the town...

When we were out there we had to walk up town to find a place to go into. Very busy place and nice food actually. We were down by Freddies and the pub on the corner was closed as was the place near the gift shops (mistys) probably not the right name. Some of the arcades were also closed.

Not knocking Tramore at all I enjoy it in the summer but don't think I'd live there the rest of the year. That's just my own personal opinion but it may be the perfect place for the op to live with regards what she is looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭looksee

When we were out there we had to walk up town to find a place to go into. Very busy place and nice food actually. We were down by Freddies and the pub on the corner was closed as was the place near the gift shops (mistys) probably not the right name. Some of the arcades were also closed.

Not knocking Tramore at all I enjoy it in the summer but don't think I'd live there the rest of the year. That's just my own personal opinion but it may be the perfect place for the op to live with regards what she is looking for.

Yes, in the winter you will have to walk a little way from the bottom of Strand Road (by the amusements) but the length of the prom in one direction or max 5-10 minutes up the town in the other direction would bring you to cafes.

The new houses on the ring road are a bit of a hike to the beach (but still do-able) but the older parts are all within a 10 minutes or so walk. You would find it much more satisfactory to have a car for access to Waterford and surrounding countryside, but housing in this area is still very reasonable compared with much of the rest of the country.

Whether, as a resident, you find things to do depends on what you want. There is certainly as much as in any similarly sized small town. Where I live we hardly notice the difference between summer and winter in terms of tourists, as they tend to stay down at the beach end of the town. This is a beautiful coastline though and I get great pleasure from living in such a lovely part of the country.

Thanks all - anybody else have any advice for me? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

The town itself doesn't vary much all year round. Most locals wouldn't really spend time near the arcades apart from walking along the prom or beach. Conversely, tourists who go to Tramore for the amusements don't really venture into the town and therefore, don't put a strain on services. There's a regular bus service into Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

I've lived in Tramore all my life, love it, even in winter. Love going for run down the beach and around the sandhills. There are lovely walking routes like around the Metalman, Newtown Cove, across the Doneraille.

If you want to be close to the beach, look at Somerville estate, it's about a 10 min walk to the beach.

If you like running or cycling, you could join up with Tramore AC or Tramore Wheelers. Splashworld has a gym and classes you might enjoy, the Coastguard station holds yoga classes. There is rebound fitness classes in the Industrial estate also, so plenty of options if you like to keep fit.

There some really nice places to eat, as mentioned by other posters

The bus service, is pretty good, every 30 mins into Waterford City.

What are the employment opportunities (admin) in the town - would it be more practical to look at Waterford or elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Employment minimal really, you might get lucky but you would be better looking in Waterford.

looksee wrote: »
    Employment minimal really, you might get lucky but you would be better looking in Waterford.

I had a feeling somehow!

Anybody know anywhere hiring?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

• Registered Users Posts: 2 123578

Long shot.....only 5 years late to the comment, but how did the move go? we are contemplating same

Advertisement