Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for death records

Options
  • 16-04-2017 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

I'm looking for two death records. The first is for John Flynn of Cloonchambers, Castlerea, Co. Roscommon who died on 21st September 1920 according to his will. He was 71. He was married. The will was granted in 1936 in Dublin if that has any significance.

The second is for Celia or Cecelia Greene of Lismurtagh, Tulsk, Co. Roscommon who died on 12th March 1957 according to her memorial card. She was also 71 and a widow.

I've tried looking for both records but I haven't had any luck. Would it be possible that the records just weren't registered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Could it be a case that they had used their second name throughout their lives and the deaths were then recorded in their official birth record name? My dad used his second name all his life. I will be registering his death shortly so will be interesting to see if it has to be registered in the same way his birth record was registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Ghekko wrote: »
    Could it be a case that they had used their second name throughout their lives and the deaths were then recorded in their official birth record name? My dad used his second name all his life. I will be registering his death shortly so will be interesting to see if it has to be registered in the same way his birth record was registered.

It's a possibility but in both censuses, they used those names and in every official record that I've come across. Although, Celia went as Celia A in 1901 but I actually don't know what it stands for, probably Anne. My dad's the same except he uses his second middle name. My mum got quite a shock when they were getting married and she heard the long name :D. I'll try Anne and see what comes up. I even tried using Celia's maiden name too but there was still nothing.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Patrick Flynn 1920 - witness address is Cloonchambers?

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if this is the right person but it is possible. I haven't come across relatives going back living in Drimdoolan. I can't find a Patrick Flynn in the census that really matches this person either so that gives it a better chance of being true.

It's definitely possible that he was recorded by the wrong first name. I've come across it before where a man was recorded with his brother's name so it looked like the brother had two death records. I wouldn't have known which was right if I didn't already have a death date.

I wish it gave some sort of relationship to the witness. I don't know any Higgins connection on that side. I don't have a daughter or sister Bridget for John Flynn though.

If the date was the same, I'd say that it must definitely be the same person. I'll definitely bear the record in mind and see can I find out anything else that might help clarify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

srmf5 wrote: »
    I'm looking for two death records.

I've tried looking for both records but I haven't had any luck.

Were you searching on irishgenealogy.ie, familysearch.org or the actual index books in the GRO?

In my experience misspelling or mistranscription or variant names are the usual cause, but I have two births that I have never found in GRO indices.

• Advertisement

tabbey wrote: »
    Were you searching on irishgenealogy.ie, familysearch.org or the actual index books in the GRO?

In my experience misspelling or mistranscription or variant names are the usual cause, but I have two births that I have never found in GRO indices.

Yeah I was searching irishgenealogy.ie. I will probably have to make a request for the actual copy and see what happens. Really I was just hoping that I'd missed something obvious. It's a shame that the records for an area can't be browsed or I'd just look at the month that he was supposed to have died.

I'm just spoilt with the records being available for free online. I can't wait for the death records before 1891 to be released because I have a family that had four children that died in the one year at the same quarter and I don't know anything about it. Roots Ireland is no good in those cases since it doesn't include cause of death.

I also have a case where my great grandfather's eight siblings had died by 1899 of TB but there was still a brother alive in 1901 and 1911. My mum thinks that all his siblings died of TB but I haven't managed to find anything. The closest that I've come across is a person in Grangegorman that died of TB but he's six years too young and there's nothing to indicate that he could be connected.

I know that there's only so much that anyone can do. If it's not on the website, the only other thing you can do is try to get access to the actual records.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You can browse the records. Find someone who died in the same registration district around the same time, open their pdf page. Look at the url, then change the last digit of the number - which matches the stamped number on the page - back and forth to flip the pages.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement