Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long and best way to get to.........

Options
  • 16-04-2017 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I am from the country and need to get from Heuston Station to Irish ferries terminal on this coming Thursday morning for 8 am ish.... Sailing is at 8.45 on the swift. (Am a foot passenger) Google maps says 22 mins by car. I have a choice of trains getting in to Dublin between 7.24 and 7.43.

I would appreciate advice on whether to get a taxi all the way or Lucas and taxi to be on time. (The latter being cheaper obviously)

Thanks in advance.

PS. Maybe there will be others who might like a bit of local knowledge e.g. Best way from Kilkenny to, say, Wexford by public transport or car etc. That's why I gave this thread its title.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I very much doubt you would make it from Heuston to the ferry terminal in 22 minutes by car at that time on a Monday morning.

I think the Luas is a better bet assuming you will be able to get a taxi at The Point. You can get it right outside the station, make sure you take the correct exit, it's the one straight ahead when you are coming off the trains, but just ask someone if you aren't sure.

There are two destinations in Dublin city centre, Connolly and The Point. You want The Point. Trams should be every 4 minutes or so at that time so you won't have to wait long even if you have to skip one that is only going to Connolly. The Luas web site says it should take 20 minutes to get from Heuston to The Point and that seems longer than I'd expect. This Luas stop leaves you about 3km from the ferry terminal.

The only issue is whether it will be easy to get a taxi at The Point. If there was a risk that there would be no taxis available then that would be a problem and you might be better getting a taxi from Heuston where there are always tons of them and braving the traffic down the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Play it safe and get the 7:24 train and a taxi from Heuston. All being well it will get in a little earlier then scheduled, which will give you a vital few minutes to play with. At that hour of day it will take a taxi no more than 30 minutes, getting you on board for about 8AM. The Luas is no quicker then a cab at that time of day plus you will have to find a cab at the Point as well, not to mention getting a direct Luas as well (Not all of them serve the Point.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Thanks lads. I'll arrive on the 7.24 so.

Advertisement