Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy now or later (at least a years time)

Options
  • 16-04-2017 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

This isnt really a consumer issue (well its a dilemma to me!). Potential one maybe.

I am in the process of building my own house. The house wont be ready for at least another 8-12 months (and thats an optimistic timeline).

I've seen things online I will need for the house. Things with offers on them. Most recently the dyson cordless vac. There is nearly e200 off it!

I was thinking of purchasing things as I go. As they come up (and put them into storage). Is there any reason I shouldnt do this? For e.g., If I dont use hoover for a year or so, will battery be damaged.

Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

One issue I imagine would be your warranty on the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

There are always offers on these things. I would build the house first, and then start buying things. You may well have changed your mind at that point in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

As above, there's always deals but keep an eye on sales when its very close to your move in. Otherwise you're wasting warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I guess it depends on the items - personally, I had a load (and I mean a load) of household stuff bought long before I ever bought my house. I had all my delph, glasses, cutlery, saucepans bought through various Tesco/Dunnes schemes, but then there wasn't a warranty issue with those kind of things. It certainly helped with the costs when I eventually got the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

don't buy any electrical goods unless you plan on using them right away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I agree with chuckles30 - buying things like delph, glasses etc are good because there isn't a warranty issue with them but I wouldn't buy anything electrical. Those offers always pop up at various times. One thing to maybe buy a month or so before the house is ready but not this far out.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I assume OP, you're talking of the Dyson V6 vacuum range. By the time you move in, the V8 could possibly be around the same price range, when inevitably, some other models enter the market.

It probably also wouldn't benefit the battery if it's not going to be used for over a year.

As other posters rightly state, there'll always be deals at various times from different retailers for electrical goods, so hold off as long as you can.

Advertisement