Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

projected 1 million passport applications in/during 2017

Options
  • 16-04-2017 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

I started a thread on this previously but it was shut down for false statistics and scaremongering. Even though I used the same numbers being reported on RTE right now. I made one mistake about the one number being from the UK.

Here is the link to the RTE website article.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0415/867929-passport-applications/
    Here it is verbatim

"A surge in passport applications has continued with the number of those applying for Irish passports in the first three months of this year up 26% on the same period last year.
    Figures from the Department of Foreign Affairs show that requests from Britain and Northern Ireland were up 68% in the first quarter.

The decision of the UK to leave the EU is thought to be a large factor in the increased demand for Irish passports.
    Between January and March 2017, 51,000 applications were received from the UK, compared with 30,000 last year.

If the current surge continues, it is expected that applications will pass the one million mark in 2017.
    The last thread was shut down with this statement from a moderator....
    "It's 250,000 applications so far this year. Not 51,000. Yes, it's projected that there will be 1 million applications but only a fraction of that are people abroad i.e. the vast majority of that 1 million are Irish people living in Ireland renewing their passports. So where would the 'extra million people' come from? I'm not letting a thread run with such blatant misinformation. Try again without false statistics and scaremongering."

Surely theres nothing wrong with this thread, right? I missed the part about the applications being from the uk specifically the first time around admittedly.
    So again....what do people think of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

And I don't know why my post has screwed up font! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

pangbang wrote: »
    I started a thread on this previously but it was shut down for false statistics and scaremongering. Even though I used the same numbers being reported on RTE right now. I made one mistake about the one number being from the UK.

Here is the link to the RTE website article.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0415/867929-passport-applications/
    Here it is verbatim

"A surge in passport applications has continued with the number of those applying for Irish passports in the first three months of this year up 26% on the same period last year.
    Figures from the Department of Foreign Affairs show that requests from Britain and Northern Ireland were up 68% in the first quarter.

The decision of the UK to leave the EU is thought to be a large factor in the increased demand for Irish passports.
    Between January and March 2017, 51,000 applications were received from the UK, compared with 30,000 last year.

If the current surge continues, it is expected that applications will pass the one million mark in 2017.
    The last thread was shut down with this statement from a moderator....
    "It's 250,000 applications so far this year. Not 51,000. Yes, it's projected that there will be 1 million applications but only a fraction of that are people abroad i.e. the vast majority of that 1 million are Irish people living in Ireland renewing their passports. So where would the 'extra million people' come from? I'm not letting a thread run with such blatant misinformation. Try again without false statistics and scaremongering."

Surely theres nothing wrong with this thread, right? I missed the part about the applications being from the uk specifically the first time around admittedly.
    So again....what do people think of this?

Fake news.

Donal55 wrote: »
    Fake news.

Although it obviously doesn't include all information, care to explain what is actually "fake"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Since most of the passports are renewals your points are what's commonly called bollocks. In the parlance of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Although it obviously doesn't include all information, care to explain what is actually "fake"?

The fact that it obviously doesn't include all information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

The only thing wrong with your thread is how boring it is.

Since most of the passports are renewals your points are what's commonly called bollocks. In the parlance of the day.

That's the great thing about bollocks, its easy to prove. So why don't you prove to me that "most" passports are renewals?

That's how this dance goes, isn't it? Ask for proof of a number and then disappear? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Donal55 wrote: »
    The fact that it obviously doesn't include all information.

Ah right, so your definition of fake is "not all there". Interesting take on that word!

It would make exams difficult, 100% scores or its all fake :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

1 million issued, not 1 million brand new applications. If anyone needs a passport this year, for whatever reason, you'll be counted in the 1 million.

• Advertisement

Hey, its in the news and not projecting decades away....

dav3 wrote: »
    1 million issued, not 1 million brand new applications. If anyone needs a passport this year, for whatever reason, you'll be counted in the 1 million.

I wouldn't be too surprised if that's a big part of it, sure. Can you prove it, I'd be interested.

Plus the reason it is in the news is because its NOT NORMAL...I guess!

I wouldn't be too surprised if that's a big part of it, sure. Can you prove it, I'd be interested.

https://www.dfa.ie/passporttracking/passportstatistics/

Knock yourself out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Wouldn't go so far as to call it fake news but the stats are a little meaningless if they don't give renewal numbers.

Also do the figures include the new passport card? I last renewed my passport in 2010 and it's valid until 2020 but applied for a card last year which has a completely different number. Is that application included in the 2016 figures?

Glenster wrote: »
    The only thing wrong with your thread is how boring it is.

Well you cant be too interesting with these subjects, hence why the last one was shut down.

Let me make it a bit more interesting then. If there is a significant increase in passport applications, that infers that a lot of people at least have the intention of moving here.

So, considering how much of a damp squib the economy is, and the housing crisis.......how do you think we would cope with a potentially large increase in people moving here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Well you cant be too interesting with these subjects, hence why the last one was shut down.

Let me make it a bit more interesting then. If there is a significant increase in passport applications, that infers that a lot of people at least have the intention of moving here.

So, considering how much of a damp squib the economy is, and the housing crisis.......how do you think we would cope with a potentially large increase in people moving here?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

It's more likely 2nd generation Irish in the UK are hoping to (or have the option in the future to) work in the broader EU, and want an EU member passport.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Those statistics are out of date, and barely anything at all on actual applications. So maybe you can back up the claim that most applications are simply renewals, like I asked originally :)

Glenster wrote: »
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry, like I said, theres only so interesting youre allowed to be with these topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

Most U.K. Nationals are not intending moving here, an Irish Passport gives them foot in EU and UK passport gives them Brexit. So Mr Murphy from London maintains all his EU rights post Brexit. In fact if a person in U.K. Is entitled to a Irish passport he does not need to apply for it to move here he can just jump on a plane with his UK passport and move as a Irish citizen he has every right to live here wit or without Irish passport.

• Advertisement

An increase from Northern Ireland and UK offices due to people wanting an EU passport allowing them free travel within the EU when brexit kicks in. Combined with our population growth = around 1 million passports issued this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Do you think nobody is going to renew their passports this year?

It's more likely 2nd generation Irish in the UK are hoping to (or have the option in the future to) work in the broader EU and want an EU member passport.

Qualitatively I'd agree. But if they cant be in the UK, then surely theyd come here, right? So what kind of capacity of extra people do you think we can absorb, considering there are already thousands living on the streets?

Those statistics are out of date, and barely anything at all on actual applications. So maybe you can back up the claim that most applications are simply renewals, like I asked originally :)

What do you mean they're out of date? All the information you need is in that link if you have the ability to comprehend it.

Do you think nobody is going to renew their passports this year?

I'm SOMEWHAT being facetious, Ive been on the receiving end of the "PROVE IT OR GTFO!" dance, no matter how obvious something might be.

Simply putting the shoe on the other foot.

What do you mean they're out of date? All the information you need is in that link if you have the ability to comprehend it.

No bother, man. You can easily pull those numbers then. The numbers that aren't there.

This is a great way to prove I'm an eejit....you cant pass it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

Qualitatively I'd agree. But if they cant be in the UK, then surely theyd come here, right? So what kind of capacity of extra people do you think we can absorb, considering there are already thousands living on the streets?

Why would they need an Irish passport to come here they are an Irish citizen they can just come? They want the Irish passport so they can after Brexit maintain EU free movement.

An example UK Irish dual citizen who spends winter in Spain every year post Brexit they may need visa and medical E111, as Irish citizen with passport they just use that passport to enter Spain for the winter.

No bother, man. You can easily pull those numbers then. The numbers that aren't there.

What numbers? You're talking about potentially 1 million passports issued this year.

It's only April, are you asking me to travel into the future to see what the figure will be?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

FFS, read the damn page. It tells you the total number of applications and how many of that was issued outside Ireland in the previous four years.

• Advertisement

An increase from Northern Ireland and UK offices due to people wanting an EU passport allowing them free travel within the EU when brexit kicks in. Combined with our population growth = around 1 million passports issued this year.

Did you get the numbers that I cant comprehend off the link you provided yet?

Brexit = not in the EU. Hence those people have to move within the EU. Do you dispute that most of them WONT move to Ireland?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement