Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

potential extra million people to arrive soon?

Options
  • 15-04-2017 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

couple of numbers from rte.

51'000 irish passport applications so far this year (up to march), 30'000 in the same period last year (jan - mar).

Expected that if current trend continues, there'll be 1'000'000 applications in 2017. (yeah theyre only applications, but sure if you had a pet rabbit that looked at Ireland on a map in the year 1756 you qualify for a passport....tenuous links begorrah!)

Obviously strongly linked with brexit. Anything else it could be too?

I welcome these potential extra million people, sure we have the jobs and homes to go around, they're giving them away as it is :P

Whatcha reckon? Looking forward to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Well their not all going to be living in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

jamesbere wrote: »

Unless they bring tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

So why get one? Just in case?

For some reason the first person to quote on this thread stated "Say it loud and say it clear, refugees are welcome here"

To which I replied "no bother. You want them in, you can get out to make the room".

How come that person and that response of mine just disappeared?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

pangbang wrote: »

Because rereg...thats why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

I'd be amazed if they weren't here already. Going by the numbers of shiny new "non nationals" I've encountered in the last few weeks. Going into Tesco is like running the gauntlet the last few times, there have been that many foreign teens hanging around outside. But that's probably "racist" to say.

• Advertisement

Because rereg...thats why.

I don't understand what you mean...?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

51'000 irish passport applications so far this year (up to march), 30'000 in the same period last year (jan - mar).

Expected that if current trend continues, there'll be 1'000'000 applications in 2017. (yeah theyre only applications, but sure if you had a pet rabbit that looked at Ireland on a map in the year 1756 you qualify for a passport....tenuous links begorrah!)

I welcome these potential extra million people, sure we have the jobs and homes to go around, they're giving them away as it is :P

Our population in 1850 was over 8 million it's close to 7 now . We are one if the few countries to have a decrease in populations.

A 500 euro annual passport tax for non residents would greatly add to the state coffers. You can justify it by having to man embassies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Any idea how many of those applications are from people living in Northern Ireland, that will continue to live there when they have their passport?

If it is strongly linked with Brexit, then the applicants are people with Irish heritage living in the UK, who will continue to live there, and just want the option of having an EU passport for travel or to keep the possiblity of living and working somewhere within the EU. My brother has a British passport, and is now applying for his first Irish one, he will continue to live in England though, has no plans for moving here.

So why get one? Just in case?

For some reason the first person to quote on this thread stated "Say it loud and say it clear, refugees are welcome here"

To which I replied "no bother. You want them in, you can get out to make the room".

I imagine it's because it's very narrow minded and could be interpreted as being both racists and bigotry.

ted1 wrote: »
    Our population in 1850 was over 8 million it's close to 7 now . We are one if the few countries to have a decrease in populations.

A 500 euro annual passport tax for non residents would greatly add to the state coffers. You can justify it by having to man embassies.

That would make some hell of a difference I bet!

• Advertisement

I imagine it's because it's very narrow minded and could be interpreted as being both racists and bigotry.

Forgive me if I'm interpreting your post incorrectly, but....

If youre insinuating that my reply was narrow-minded in comparison to someone stating that a million refugees are welcome here....how?

If youre insinuating that I'm racist and /or a bigot because of my reply to such a ridiculous statement....how?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I, for one, welcome our new immigrant overlords.

I, for one, welcome our new immigrant overlords.
    We've had foreign overloads for over 700 years, actually it's only between 1922 and 2008 that we didn't.

Look at the mess we made.

We've had foreign overloads for over 700 years, actually it's only between 1922 and 2008 that we didn't.

You want to answer the question I asked? Or just ignore it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Seriously? You reckon we will have a million people suddenly descend on us? Are you losing the plot or what?

That million is made up of A) people living here already B) Northern Irish people C) Irish people and their descendants living abroad who will probably stay abroad.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Relax. You'll have Islam to guide you very soon. Just go with the flow.

Seriously? You reckon we will have a million people descend us? Are you losing the plot or what?

That million is made up of A) people living here already B) Northern Irish people C) Irish people and their descendants living abroad who will probably stay abroad.

Lets says its true, that a million people will have applied for a passport by 2017......

You ask ME am I losing the plot about assuming that a person that applies for a passport has a strong intention to move here.....then you state that its definitely not going to happen?

A future event that you are categorically sure isn't going to happen? And that if it happens and a million people get passports, they definitely aren't going to move here?

And its ME losing the plot?

Lets says its true, that a million people will have applied for a passport by 2017......

You ask ME am I losing the plot about assuming that a person that applies for a passport has a strong intention to move here.....then you state that its definitely not going to happen?

A future event that you are categorically sure isn't going to happen? And that if it happens and a million people get passports, they definitely aren't going to move here?

And its ME losing the plot?

Yes. It is. Absolutely 100% definitely you. There are not a million people going to suddenly descend on this country.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yes. It is. Absolutely 100% definitely you.

Fair play to you. If you get the lotto numbers with your time machine, be sure to share with boards :)

Or else continue to live in lala land

Fair play to you. If you get the lotto numbers with your time machine, be sure to share with boards :)

Or else continue to live in lala land

Are you looking for the conspiracy theories forum?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yes. It is. Absolutely 100% definitely you. There are not a million people going to suddenly descend on this country.

Think you meant to reply definitely YOU.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Don't forget all those coming here who aren't entitled to an Irish passport but who would like one.

We could have 2000,000 extra by the end of the year.

Give it time and somebody in our Fine Gael/Fianna Fail coalition-but-not-officially-a-coalition government will suggest that now is the time to... try and attract these people to live in Dublin and that it would be "great for the economy" if they all moved to Dublin. Oh, yes, what can the Irish government do to attract all those Brexit businesses to Dublin so that they could further increase property prices in this city? My, oh my, how the English language fails me every time these people in media and politics mention this particular point.

Our bastard government of unfathomable and utterly relentless ineptitude, exacerbated by justifying it all with every inane, misplaced rightwing cliche about "the economy" (especially the part about not interferring in it unless, for instance, you're going to reduce apartment and building standards and give millions of euro in handouts to developers under cover of "first time buyer" grants and the like). Superstar cunts of me feiner fuck-the-poor economics. Every single one of them. Keep away from my door.

Are you looking for the conspiracy theories forum?

I make silly statements sometimes too...I can own it. You said something categorically thick, have the bones to own it and move on. Or do you have something intelligent to say beyond the childish?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's 250,000 applications so far this year. Not 51,000. Yes, it's projected that there will be 1 million applications but only a fraction of that are people abroad i.e. the vast majority of that 1 million are Irish people living in Ireland renewing their passports. So where would the 'extra million people' come from?

51,000 in the first three months and 949,000 in the following nine months? Did you even read this thread before posting it?

I'm not letting a thread run with such blatant misinformation. Try again without false statistics and scaremongering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement