Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic Novel Query

Options
  • 15-04-2017 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

Been only reading the Eaglemoss DC graphic novels part works. Looking to get into the more current stuff but there seems to be 52 & Rebirth?

Is there an order to read them in or just jump into any of them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

The New 52 comes before Rebirth. Rebirth only started last year so there's a max of 2 trades per book at the moment. That said, The New 52 was generally pretty poorly received because, for the most part, it pretty much sucked. If you're a Batman fan, read from the start from N52 right up to date. For other characters, I'd give them a wide birth...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

The New 52 comes before Rebirth. Rebirth only started last year so there's a max of 2 trades per book at the moment. That said, The New 52 was generally pretty poorly received because, for the most part, it pretty much sucked. If you're a Batman fan, read from the start from N52 right up to date. For other characters, I'd give them a wide birth...

Many thanks! I do like Batman so will check those out. Is there any of the Rebirths to avoid? I like to vary the characters I read so would like to get through a few characters books

Antibac wrote: »
    Many thanks! I do like Batman so will check those out. Is there any of the Rebirths to avoid? I like to vary the characters I read so would like to get through a few characters books

Tbh most of the Rebirth titles I've read have ranged from pretty good to fantastic. I wasn't fond of the first issue of Batgirl but haven't read past that. In order of preference, these are the Rebirth titles that I've read/am reading:

Superman
    All-Star Batman
    Batman
    Green Arrow
    The Flash
    Nightwing
    Justice League
    Wonder Woman

Superman is the standout book, imo.

Tbh most of the Rebirth titles I've read have ranged from pretty good to fantastic. I wasn't fond of the first issue of Batgirl but haven't read past that. In order of preference, these are the Rebirth titles that I've read/am reading:

Superman
    All-Star Batman
    Batman
    Green Arrow
    The Flash
    Nightwing
    Justice League
    Wonder Woman

Superman is the standout book, imo.

Many Thanks. I'm gonna check out the Superman & Batman ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Batman and Superman definitly a solid shout. Think I'm similar to Nervous Wreck with the titles I'm getting monthly.

Batman
    All star Batman
    Detective comics
    Superman
    Action comics
    Justice League
    Flash
    Green Arrow

Superman I'm really loving, as well as Batman cause I just love everything Batman. But havn't really struggled with anything.

If I'm not mistaken the first Volume collections just came out in recent weeks collecting the first 1-8 or 1-10 issues of all the launch titles. Not sure on pricing but for N52 I was just getting the Volume collections. I had started on graphic novels and then N52 was my first forway into somewhat current comics.

The Batman series was fantastic and I really enjoyed it and gave me the bug for Rebirth and moving into singles.

• Advertisement

Price-wise, Rebirth titles are about the same in TPB and HC. Singles are cheaper at €2.99 a go for most titles.

I haven't tried Action or Detective Comics since Rebirth; how are they?

Price-wise, Rebirth titles are about the same in TPB and HC. Singles are cheaper at €2.99 a go for most titles.

I haven't tried Action or Detective Comics since Rebirth; how are they?

I'm enjoying them. Had never read them before so it "feels" like there is some required knowledge on what's gone on beforehand. Action Comics seemed to go straight into this "thing" that I really had no idea what was happening.

I'm enjoying them both though.

Recently picked up

Batman:Judgement on Gotham
    Batman: Eye of the Beholder
    Superman:Last Son
    The Joker:Death of the Family-The New 52
    Batman:The Cult
    Batman and Son
    Batman & Robin must Die

From Adverts in a job lot .I blame The Doc-never though of looking there till he mentioned it. 😝

Anyone read them? Any that I should read first?

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm enjoying them. Had never read them before so it "feels" like there is some required knowledge on what's gone on beforehand. Action Comics seemed to go straight into this "thing" that I really had no idea what was happening.

I'm enjoying them both though.

Based on this, I picked up vol. 1 of Action Comics (Rebirth) and loved it. Gonna grab vol. 2 tomorrow!

Based on this, I picked up vol. 1 of Action Comics (Rebirth) and loved it. Gonna grab vol. 2 tomorrow!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I regret going single and wish I was patient and just got the TPB's to read in one sitting.

Drowning in comics haha

• Advertisement

Antibac wrote: »
    Recently picked up

Batman:Judgement on Gotham
    Batman: Eye of the Beholder
    Superman:Last Son
    The Joker:Death of the Family-The New 52
    Batman:The Cult
    Batman and Son
    Batman & Robin must Die

From Adverts in a job lot .I blame The Doc-never though of looking there till he mentioned it. 😝

Anyone read them? Any that I should read first?

Yeah I'm always keeping tabs on adverts, you sometimes forget about it but the amount of good stuff you can still get.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I regret going single and wish I was patient and just got the TPB's to read in one sitting.

Drowning in comics haha

You're telling me...!

Advertisement