Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has The Trade Off Been Too Much?

Options
  • 15-04-2017 3:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Maybe this is a little mental. Have we gone too far with our trade off with data and what we get from the internet. I don't blame the internet, but the latest CIA revelations just mean to me there is absolutely no security on the internet.

Mind you. I never started with a high regard for such safety. It seems any type of data is sold to the lowest bidder.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Hit the reset button back to 2001 and give me my Nokia3210

• Registered Users Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Nothing in life is for free, particularly on the interwebs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I dont think so. The internet is a great thing and makes life a lot easier.
    If some data centre somewhere knows what type bog roll I use and what youtube videos I watch then so be it. I have nothing to hide and would prefer that adverts are a little personalised towards me.
    Better than those non-personalised spam emails trying to sell me penis extending hair implants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Too easy for the scumbags to hide behind the normal users rights. I'll gladly give up online privacy if it means it's harder for peados.

It's not like i wear a disguise when buying a newspaper or doing normal shopping, why should doing the same online be so secretive.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You ain't seen nothing yet

Cashless society driverless cars

They will have you by the balls 24 7 and some people keep cheering it on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Why do I need online anonymity??

I've nothing to hide and speak online like I speak in person.

There are people who come online as a different person, race and rant and abuse whomever they feel like. These people are fighting for their "privacy" online because it defends the cowardly behaviour they carry on.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

_Brian wrote: »

The more info about yourself you put online the higher the risk someone will try and steal your identity. That may be used to compromise you or defraud you. I'm much more careful about information I now share than I used to be. Anyone could probably work out who I am quite easily, but they will not get much in the way of useful information unless they manage to breach data security at one of the financial institutions I use. As a result I am now quite choosy/careful on that front also. If the Russians can compromise the US presidential election it won't be long before the fraudsters get new tools to help them scam people (if they don't already have them)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

There are people who come online as a different person, race and rant and abuse whomever they feel like. These people are fighting for their "privacy" online because it defends the cowardly behaviour they carry on.

So those cross dressing pics of you getting split in half by the biggest dildo I've ever seen are ok to share? Don't get me wrong your face is hidden but i could tell it's you based on your tattoo and scar........ But if you want to keep them out of your parents hands pay me x amount.

Not everyone is hiding sinister things.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

You ain't seen nothing yet

Cashless society driverless cars

They will have you by the balls 24 7 and some people keep cheering it on
    So we should halt progress of the human race because some people will use it to benefit themselves and get rich? How about tackling the root of the problem at government transparency instead of wanting to go back to the 90s.

Drakares wrote:
    So we should halt progress of the human race because some people will use it to benefit themselves and get rich? If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.

A cashless society will come in dead handy during the next major financial crisis, the elites can just turn the switch off for a few days, bail in your deposits to save the banks and job done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    A cashless society will come in dead handy during the next major financial crisis, the elites can just turn the switch off for a few days, bail in your deposits to save the banks and job done

I was talking more about the driverless cards. A cashless society will never happen.

Drakares wrote:
    I was talking more about the driverless cards. A cashless society will never happen.

Oh the financial sector is trying it's best to make it so and it seems to be working as far as I can see

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Oh the financial sector is trying it's best to make it so and it seems to be working as far as I can see

Yup i for one very rarely carry cash on myself

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I never leave the house without cash, always have an emergency £50 on me because you just never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hide nothing, and someone will pretend they're you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So you've no issue your prospective employer gets to see your search history, http://nypost.com/2017/04/14/googles-new-job-site-might-let-recruiters-see-your-search-history/

I never leave the house without cash, always have an emergency £50 on me because you just never know.

That's probably true but it's so easy to get cash back etc ATMs are everywhere, even taxis take cards now. Very easy to have a card rather than carry a load of coins you always seem to accumulate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I try not to carry cash. So do most people I know.

Now when I go down the country I have to, because none of the shops have any technology.

But I'm assuming it'll trickle down there eventualy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

That's probably true but it's so easy to get cash back etc ATMs are everywhere, even taxis take cards now. Very easy to have a card rather than carry a load of coins you always seem to accumulate

Ah the shrapnel just goes into a large tin money box and when it's full me and little man head to counting machine with it and have a good day out :)

Glenster wrote: »

Now when I go down the country I have to, because none of the shops have any technology.

To be fair we don't need cash as we don't have that eternal craving for golden brown. Oh what's that stupid comments are a go go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Glenster wrote: »

Country shops will also take turnips as part payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Beasty wrote: »
    The more info about yourself you put online the higher the risk someone will try and steal your identity. That may be used to compromise you or defraud you. I'm much more careful about information I now share than I used to be. Anyone could probably work out who I am quite easily, but they will not get much in the way of useful information unless they manage to breach data security at one of the financial institutions I use. As a result I am now quite choosy/careful on that front also. If the Russians can compromise the US presidential election it won't be long before the fraudsters get new tools to help them scam people (if they don't already have them)

A few years ago, curiousity got the better of me when in a thread about first names that people wished their parents hadn't given them, someone posted their first name. The problem for that particular user though was that their boards name was obviously an abbreviation of a recognisable surname with O on the end. (like Smith being changed to Smito) I googled what I assumed to be her full name with the Search term Dublin. Got a Linkedin page with lots of details about her career and schooling. Confirmed it was definitely her when I saw that she posted several times in a boards forum related to her career. I thought long and hard about Pm'ing her to warn her at the risk of coming across as a stalker. I did PM her in the end. Told her that she had inadvertently given away too much information on boards and made it possible for a bit of internet sleuthing to reveal her real identity and that maybe she should delete her post in the thread in question. That I wasn't a weirdo or stalker but merely a curious and then concerned fellow boardsie. She thanked me....deleted the post.....closed her boards account......and probably thought I was a weirdo or stalker :rolleyes: :o:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

A series of Hight altitude nuclear detonations, and a massive EMP and the lights go out. The internet was created by the American military.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The internet is just another system of control and exploitation, albeit one nobody properly understands.
    "...it has become apparent that while the self-organising network is good at organising change, it is much less good at what comes next; networks leave people helpless in the face of people already in power in the world"

Advertisement