Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Insullation

Options
  • 14-04-2017 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

External Insullation

Hi

I am living in South Dublin and am looking to get one external wall of my house insulated. Could anyone recommend a good value person or company? Also, are there different ways of insulating the external wall of a house and which are better or worse?

I have already tried for more than a year with a company called -snip- but he just did not turn up for arranged meetings and generally messed me around (do not use!)

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Well doing one wall is not a great idea to be honest.
    describe the house in some detail and explain why its a Phil Collins-esque job: One wall only!

In passing naming and shaming is not encouraged on boards, might even be verboten under the forum charter.
    Did you read it?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036302

"....3.0 Naming of companies , bodies , individuals , products or services

3.(a) With the exception of large, national or multi-national businesses who really don’t need the free advertising , posts naming specific companies/traders and/or their products are discouraged and may be deleted and the poster warned or banned or both.

3.(b) Any content which appears to either exalt or to condemn any specific companies/traders will be deleted and the poster warned or banned or both.
    ..."

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FeedbackFunky

Hi Calahonda

The house is a semi detached, build in the 1940s (the walls are rubble!). The gable wall was letting in damp as well as cold while the rest of the house is reasonably insulated (some of it having been renovated).
    One issue I do have is that the roof is a tiles roof but there is no overhang of tiles for the gable wall.

Sadly I can't afford to get the whole house done.

Thanks for your help

My neighbour has had their gable wall done and it works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

can you talk me through the internal insulation aspects of the renovations in the rooms that have the gable end as a wall please?

In the damp and cold, is the wall exposed to driving wind and rain?
    What is the external finish on the gable?
    Have you concrete barges on the roof on the gable end?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ckeire

Hi FeedbackFunky, Did you go ahead and get that gable wall done? I am thinking of doing one gable wall also and wondering if you found it worthwhile doing?
    or if anyone else has done partial external wall insulation, i'd love to hear back!

Advertisement