Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Axa insurance for young drivers

Options
  • 14-04-2017 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

hi guys both parents with axa, i'm looking to get insured under one of my parents name, the car is my fathers and is a 1 litre yaris, i got an online quote for it under my name and it came up as 3,600 plus for a 1litre car, i'm 22 male and on provisional for last 5 years.

how much would it be under the fathers name? also if it isn't reasonable i'm going to threaten them that both of my parents will move to aviva just for me to avail of the 6 months free insurance and just pay the lessons.

thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

I think you need to ring Axa to find out. Also not sure if they will care too much if you threaten to move to Aviva.
    The fact that you have had a learner permit for 5 years may be a factor in the cost of the insurance. Have you done your test and failed it more than once?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭turkeyboy1990

Well parents are on house insurance too :P

No haven't even driven behind a wheel yet and had a provisional for 5 years...
    No lessons or driving test yet

Whats the general costs of insuring under your parents name though? Can't seem to find anything anywhere on boards..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Whats the general costs of insuring under your parents name though? Can't seem to find anything anywhere on boards..

Will you be the main driver of the car?

I won't be i'll be using it driving it to and from work during weekends only

I would be open to insuring it under my own name if i was deciding on purchasing my own car for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mrsbeebee

This is called fronting and it's considered fraud by insurers. They would probably cop on if you tried it as you have obtained a quote in your own name. Have you checked with any other insurers? They're not the only one out there!

• Advertisement

Also, if you go ahead with this and have an accident they would have the right to decline the claim and recover all monies paid out under the claim (if it is in fact for all intents and purposes your car and you are the main driver). The reason why it's high is a 22 year old provisional license drivers are high risk.

If you're claiming i'm fronting well i am not, i'm trying to obtain insurance to complete my driving lessons and use the car to and from work during weekends accompanied with a parent in the front seat..

Now axa 12 lessons 369 euros and the unknown costs of getting insured under parents name.....

aviva 499 euro for 13 lessons and 6 months accompanied free insurance

the winner here seems clear here to me!

whats the hassle of switching home and car insurance from one provider to the next does anyone know?

Your original post was clearly asking about insuring a car under your father's name to get cheap insurance. If as I said you would be the main user this is fronting whether you like it or not.

Just go with the second quote as you said and don't take the chance. Not sure what your issue is?

thanks mrsbeebee didn't mean to argue or anything, sorry for being vague too!

do you by any chance know what the age limit for a car is when quoting with aviva?

You just get the policy holders to ring them and do the switch. It's not a hassle. Your parents will need to be sure that the house insurance policy they get with Aviva is comparable to the one they have with Axa.

I am with Aviva so my son did the lessons with them. Then he was added to my policy at no extra cost (the policy cost for the year was €280). He got his test. At policy renewal 3 months later the renewal cost was €900. For me as main driver, him as named driver and my husband as named driver. It was no cheaper anywhere else so we stayed with Aviva.

• Advertisement

Re the age of the car, Aviva told me they would not quote for a car older than 10 years - that is for new business rather than renewals though..

Cheers appreciate that a lot mrsbeebee and beechwood55

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I won't be i'll be using it driving it to and from work during weekends only

I would be open to insuring it under my own name if i was deciding on purchasing my own car for sure

A qualified driver will need to accompany you to and from work.

Aviva are very clear about this. The people who can accompany you in the car have to be named on the policy as well. So in our case it was myself and my husband. My brother for example could not take our son out in our car.

Oh never heard that before thanks a mill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

he already mentioned that one of his parents would accompany him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Can you have had 3 Learner permits (2 years per permit) without at least proof of a Test Date ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭honda boi

Just wondering how the insurance company would know he's the main driver if a claim was to arise?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

honda boi wrote: »
    Just wondering how the insurance company would know he's the main driver if a claim was to arise?

Example 1..
    Normally at the scene of accident, the driver being asked by Garda / or have phone insurance company - who's car is it. 'It's mine but my parents cover it for me as can't afford cover it otherwise'

Example 2..
    Policy was incepted declaring this to be only car in house. Then insurer discovers both parents have separate cars with other insurers. 3 cars-3 drivers- young driver main driver

Example 3.. parents don't normally drive pimped out Yaris with 16" rims and tinted /mod'd body kitted cars

Advertisement