Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying second hand camera

Options
  • 14-04-2017 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a second hand camera to start me off in photography. The camera is:

Canon 1100D with 18-55 lense

12.2 megapixel

Light sensitivity: 6400 ISO

Shutter Lag: 110 ms

Shutter Max: 1/4000s and Min: 30s

4 years old

What do you think and how much should I pay for a sound hand one of these?

Many thanks.

Will.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I would say about €200-€250 depending on condition, what sort of budget did you have in mind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I'd say about €150-200 tops.

You can get a brand new 1300D for about €320
    https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/canon-eos-1300d-kit-with-18-55mm-is-ii-lens-digital-slr-camera-black.html#description

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for the headsup on eglobalcentral.

I'd never heard of them.

Much cheaper than shopping local.

Anyone dealt with them much?

If you're VAT registered, can you buy less VAT?

Thanks.

D.

Ps. I'm assuming these questions might be relevant to OP's original question. Tks.

I order all my gear off them, there used to be a thread for them too with lots of success stories. Their whole model is around not paying import tax and duty, so not sure about VAT. You might need a vat number maybe.

Sheeps wrote: »
    I order all my gear off them, there used to be a thread for them too with lots of success stories. Their whole model is around not paying import tax and duty, so not sure about VAT. You might need a vat number maybe.

Thanks.

Yes, I'm VAT registered.

I'm after a Canon 24-70mm ii lens. About E2200 here. It's E1599 with them. Huge saving, and if that's VAT inclusive (if it's not, then it's virtually no saving for me) then that would be even better.

D.

• Advertisement

Has anyone dealt with ONEdigitals?

They seem to be even cheaper than Eglobal, who were mentioned further up this thread.

Two things I would be interested in...

This 24-70mm lens and this AC power adpater kit which, at Euro120.00 for both parts, is incredibly cheap - usually nearer Euro200.00 for the two.

Thanks.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    Has anyone dealt with ONEdigitals?

They seem to be even cheaper than Eglobal, who were mentioned further up this thread.

Two things I would be interested in...

This 24-70mm lens and this AC power adpater kit which, at Euro120.00 for both parts, is incredibly cheap - usually nearer Euro200.00 for the two.

Thanks.

D.
    I was considering buying the 50mm f1.2 from there, priced at €1000, which is €100 cheaper than eglobal, however their trust pilot scores are rock bottom, and basically all of the reviews are complaints.

I'd steer clear.

https://ie.trustpilot.com/search?query=one+digital

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

If you buy second hand you need to know the shutter count..

Sheeps wrote: »
    I was considering buying the 50mm f1.2 from there, priced at €1000, which is €100 cheaper than eglobal, however their trust pilot scores are rock bottom, and basically all of the reviews are complaints.

I'd steer clear.

https://ie.trustpilot.com/search?query=one+digital

Sheeps,

Never heard of trustpilot.

Useful to know.

Thanks.

D.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

sunny2004 wrote: »
    If you buy second hand you need to know the shutter count..

Why?

Shutter count is somewhat meaningless. Every shutter is quoted with a mean time to failure, so x,000 actuations. But, that doesn't mean a whole lot. A shutter can fail after 100 or 100,000 actuations, or even 500,000. You simply replace the shutter.

Obviously, the cheaper the camera, the more expensive it is to replace the shutter, relatively speaking. Replacing the shutter is the same as putting a brand new engine in a car, and it's all back to scratch again, with a new mean time to failure. A new shutter will be a few hundred euro, usually.

With a 2nd hand camera, you have no warranty, so any repairs will cost you.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    Why?

Shutter count is somewhat meaningless. Every shutter is quoted with a mean time to failure, so x,000 actuations. But, that doesn't mean a whole lot. A shutter can fail after 100 or 100,000 actuations, or even 500,000. You simply replace the shutter.

Obviously, the cheaper the camera, the more expensive it is to replace the shutter, relatively speaking. Replacing the shutter is the same as putting a brand new engine in a car, and it's all back to scratch again, with a new mean time to failure. A new shutter will be a few hundred euro, usually.

Totally agree. It's a silly question that keeps popping up on forums and it's virtually meaningless.

Far better to know, for example, if a camera has spent its life on a tripod, or mostly handheld.

D.

Paulw wrote: »
    Why?

I would have thought it was an indication of overall usage..
    Personally if I had the choice of a camera with 500 shots taken or 50,000 I know which one I would prefer. But to each there own, not sure about the engine analogy. Does a new engine mean there is no rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I think people place too much emphasis on shutter count, sure look at it as one small part of the equation but I have seen camera bodies at 10K actuations that look like they were thrown off a mountain and some at 100K that look like they just came out of the box, just because somebody took more pictures doesn’t mean they didn’t look after their gear.
    I would consider them more like a clutch on a car, a consumable item that wears out and needs to be replaced every so often. When its replaced the car goes back to working like normal but the rest of the car is still as it was before.

I think it's a general indication of usage. You can argue it whatever way you wish, but I'm going to avoid a camera with 100k on it in favour of a lower count, all things being equal. To ignore it or suggest it's a minor factor isn't correct. But as I said, to each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Dinarius wrote: »
    Totally agree. It's a silly question that keeps popping up on forums and it's virtually meaningless.

Far better to know, for example, if a camera has spent its life on a tripod, or mostly handheld.

D.

What's the difference between handheld and tripod, condition wise?

Advertisement