Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Zs registrations?

  • 14-04-2017 3:32pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ dtm


    Hi lads.
    What is the story with some old cars with a ZS Regristration like zs 34657 for example. There are currently two that i saw in meath.
    One was an old merc and one a boxy micra.

    And yes i am fully aware of the zv numberplates before you ask and no, i did misread the plates


    Anyone car to shine some light on it?


Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,600 jca


    ZS was used by Dublin when they started to run out of regular issues. Around 1984 I think they started using it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ Stephenc66


    dtm wrote: »
    Hi lads.
    What is the story with some old cars with a ZS Regristration like zs 34657 for example. There are currently two that i saw in meath.
    One was an old merc and one a boxy micra.

    And yes i am fully aware of the zv numberplates before you ask and no, i did misread the plates


    Anyone car to shine some light on it?

    As JCA says. It the old registration system it was the Registration for Dublin city and county from 1984 until the system we have now was introduded


  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ dtm


    Stephenc66 wrote: »
    As JCA says. It the old registration system it was the Registration for Dublin city and county from 1984 until the system we have now was introduded

    Oh so it applies only to dublin?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,600 jca


    dtm wrote: »
    Oh so it applies only to dublin?

    Yes, those two cars you saw were originally registered in Dublin in 1984.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,690 ✭✭✭✭ Wishbone Ash


    Stephenc66 wrote: »
    As JCA says. It the old registration system it was the Registration for Dublin city and county from 1984 until the system we have now was introduded
    jca wrote: »
    Yes, those two cars you saw were originally registered in Dublin in 1984.
    ZS without a prefix letter was used in Dublin from July to December 1986. It was the last series issued for Dublin prior to the new system in 1987 - ZS 8709 being the final number issued.

    (ZS with a prefix (e.g. AZS 1 to YZS 999 was issued from May 1984 to March 1985)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,690 ✭✭✭✭ Wishbone Ash


    dtm wrote: »
    ... like zs 34657 for example?...
    There wouldn't have been 5 digits. Old plates had either 1,2 or 3 letters. Those with 1 or 2 letters had a max of 4 digits. Those with 3 letters had a max of 3 digits. No more than 6 characters were permitted on a plate then.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,600 jca


    ZS without a prefix letter was used in Dublin from July to December 1986. It was the last series issued for Dublin prior to the new system in 1987 - ZS 8709 being the final number issued.

    (ZS with a prefix (e.g. AZS 1 to YZS 999 was issued from May 1984 to March 1985)
    Ahh OK that's where I made my mistake(wikepedia on my phone). Where can you get details like May '84 etc? I have a book that insurance brokers used to use but it only goes into the middle 60's Wikepedia is woefully inaccurate.


  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ greendragon3


    ouroldorion.jpg

    the ould fellas ZS '85/'86 Ford orion , i was trying to persuade the goat to go to the vet !!


Advertisement