Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Country night on the Late Late show tonight.

Options
  • 14-04-2017 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭

The now soon to be annual Irish Country Late Late Hoedown is on tonight. I'm old school so Big Tom, Margo, Phileomena Begley and Susan McCann will have me watching. I think Charlie Pride makes a special appearance also. Anyone else sitting in to watch this tonight ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    The now soon to be annual Irish Country Late Late Hoedown is on tonight. I'm old school so Big Tom, Margo, Phileomena Begley and Susan McCann will have me watching. I think Charlie Pride makes a special appearance also. Anyone else sitting in to watch this tonight ?

I agree. I am looking forward to the older singers here and they will show up tossers like that ex boyband singer turned so-called rural comedy singer Lee Matthews. The older singers like Big Tom, Margo, Philomena Begley, Susan McCann, Brendan Shine, etc. are all good singers who have their own style and have stood the test of time. It will be nice to see Charley Pride and Charlie Landsborough to give an international dimension. Of the younger singers (the ones that came before these boyband types), I think Jimmy Buckley and Michael English are good and can sing the proper country.

All this will show up these latterday clowns who emerged in the last 5 years, mostly from the Tyrone/Donegal area and from boybands or talent shows are not real country singers that is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

I agree. I am looking forward to the older singers here and they will show up tossers like that ex boyband singer turned so-called rural comedy singer Lee Matthews. The older singers like Big Tom, Margo, Philomena Begley, Susan McCann, Brendan Shine, etc. are all good singers who have their own style and have stood the test of time. It will be nice to see Charley Pride and Charlie Landsborough to give an international dimension. Of the younger singers (the ones that came before these boyband types), I think Jimmy Buckley and Michael English are good and can sing the proper country.

All this will show up these latterday clowns who emerged in the last 5 years, mostly from the Tyrone/Donegal area and from boybands or talent shows are not real country singers that is obvious.

Didn't know the full lineup for tonight, think it's gonna be a mighty night of entertainment. I'm not too enamoured with the new crop of poppy Country'n'Irish Music, a bit like yourself but they have a following and they packin' them in night after night. There's a couple of the younger women who have the makings of great Country singers...if only they could hit on the right original songs because they're gifted with their voices.
    Surely there's enough misery in this country for us to churn out good Country songs.

Didn't know the full lineup for tonight, think it's gonna be a mighty night of entertainment. I'm not too enamoured with the new crop of poppy Country'n'Irish Music, a bit like yourself but they have a following and they packin' them in night after night. There's a couple of the younger women who have the makings of great Country singers...if only they could hit on the right original songs because they're gifted with their voices.
    Surely there's enough misery in this country for us to churn out good Country songs.

I agree with this. Never a fan of this poppy modern country stuff. I feel that rather than just concentrating on originals, there are so many great older songs that could be revived like those by Hank Williams, Moon Mullican, Lefty Frizzell and Eddy Arnold to name but a few of the great older country singers. I know there are many Irish singers actually recording these but they are sadly not pushed by our media :(

Just read the lineup over on the Television forum, what can I say just sit back and enjoy the night. Hope somebody sings a Hank Williams song...

Just read the lineup over on the Television forum, what can I say just sit back and enjoy the night. Hope somebody sings a Hank Williams song...

Yes, there was one .. Margo did Your Cheating Heart. Lovely song.

• Advertisement

Yes, there was one .. Margo did Your Cheating Heart. Lovely song.

I saw the last segment...thought the medley would be a bit longer. Didn't get to see the show in it's entirety.

Advertisement