Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolby Atmos - Windows 10 App

Options
  • 13-04-2017 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭

Anyone else tried this, an add on available with the Creator's Update? The blurb claims Headset support is not ready yet but it is actually included, also the trial listed online is 1 day when it's actually 30, 15 quid after that if you want to buy.

I'm big into my sound but had to give up on discrete surround speakers many years ago so surround on headphones has been it since then. I've tried various solutions over the years, some with multiple discrete drivers but mostly now with virtualised as it has come on massively in the last few years. I have Razer's surround software on my movie PC but stay with Dolby HT4 on my main gaming PC since it came with my card - while the surround quality is a little different between the 2 the main decider for me is the extra control on the DHT4 software (dynamic EQ and the like). Anyway I loaded up Dolby Atmos last night and it seems promising, switching back to DHT4 actually felt a little claustrophobic, the soundfield was definitely diminished and the location transitions on DA seemed a lot smoother. +1 for DA's HRTF improvements.
    There is obviously some other processing happening like compression and I think some EQ on upper base and mid-highs but unfortunately there are no manual controls for any parameters. Which is a problem for me since my gaming set, Sennheiser 350, needs a significant bump in bass which the DHT4 does nicely. I hooked up my main/music cans to test aswell and it was much better but I'm still undecided, will have to use it for a few more days at least and then do some more A-B testing.

So, any thoughts?

Advertisement