Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar or Bass for Beginner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

First of all, what is your budget?

The fundamental difference between Precision and Jazz Basses is the pickup configuration with each having distinct tonal personalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Hi. I can only give opinions on bass guitar. I am not exactly a teenager either. ;)

To a certain extent you are correct in that the bass is meant (generally speaking) to be played along with other instruments. Having said that, I have spent many happy hours alone, playing along to my favourite songs. You don't have to be in a "band" as such, but you could find other beginner musicians to jam with from time to time. There are lots of rehearsal studios that supply everything you need. You just have to bring your instrument. It is a great way to spend a few hours and a great way to learn.

The main differences between a jazz and precision bass are in the pick ups.They effect the sound/tone of the bass. The other difference is in the neck width. The precision has a wide chunky neck and the jazz has a slimmer "fast" neck.

Speaking generally..as in where to start and what to get :

The golden rule (where possible) is...try before you buy.

Only YOU can decide this. If possible try to borrow a bass or acoustic/electric guitar. You could also go to a music shop and try out both. See which one appeals to you the most.

Instead of going via Thomann...I'd recommend going the second hand route with "Adverts" : http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/music-instruments-equipment/guitar-bass/191/

This way, you get to try out the instrument first, and you can get a budget one. So if you find that a certain instrument is not for you, then you won't be down a lot of cash. Try out as many guitars (acoustic or electric) and basses as you can and see what appeals to you.

If you decide on a bass, and want some more tips/suggestions/opinions, then send me a P.M. and I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

Best of luck with it. I'm sure you'll get great enjoyment from whatever instrument you choose. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Passenger wrote: »
    First of all, what is your budget?

The fundamental difference between Precision and Jazz Basses is the pickup configuration with each having distinct tonal personalities.

Somewhere about €200-250 is what I was thinking for everything I'd need to get started. I know more is probably better, but I don't want to sink too much in to begin.

Honestly, I have no idea what the pickup configuration part means. I'll see if I can youtube the different tones. I'm mostly into rock/metal so I was thinking that would be Precision?
    Rigsby wrote: »
    Hi. I can only give opinions on bass guitar. I am not exactly a teenager either. ;)

To a certain extent you are correct in that the bass is meant (generally speaking) to be played along with other instruments. Having said that, I have spent many happy hours alone, playing along to my favourite songs. You don't have to be in a "band" as such, but you could find other beginner musicians to jam with from time to time. There are lots of rehearsal studios that supply everything you need. You just have to bring your instrument. It is a great way to spend a few hours and a great way to learn.

The main differences between a jazz and precision bass are in the pick ups.They effect the sound/tone of the bass. The other difference is in the neck width. The precision has a wide chunky neck and the jazz has a slimmer "fast" neck.

Speaking generally..as in where to start and what to get :

The golden rule (where possible) is...try before you buy.

Only YOU can decide this. If possible try to borrow a bass or acoustic/electric guitar. You could also go to a music shop and try out both. See which one appeals to you the most.

Instead of going via Thomann...I'd recommend going the second hand route with "Adverts" : http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/music-instruments-equipment/guitar-bass/191/

This way, you get to try out the instrument first, and you can get a budget one. So if you find that a certain instrument is not for you, then you won't be down a lot of cash. Try out as many guitars (acoustic or electric) and basses as you can and see what appeals to you.

If you decide on a bass, and want some more tips/suggestions/opinions, then send me a P.M. and I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

Best of luck with it. I'm sure you'll get great enjoyment from whatever instrument you choose. :cool:
    Did you just start Bass from nothing? How did the learning go if you did?

I don't know of much like that where I am. Most musicians seem to be in a band for years, or teenagers.

I only know one person into music, she has all 3, but theres no way in hell she'd let anyone touch her guitars. Plus I can't exactly go round to her house, shes still young and her parents would really wonder about an older guy from her work being at their house.
    I don't know if there are any music shops around me, but I'd feel so intimated going into one. And what do I do in there to try them out to see which I want?

I would like to be able to buy second hand, but I haven't a clue what to look out for, or what manufacturers are good/bad.

What are good manufacturers? All I know are Fender & Yamaha are good. I have't a clue outside of that.

kiddums wrote: »
    Somewhere about €200-250 is what I was thinking for everything I'd need to get started. I know more is probably better, but I don't want to sink too much in to begin.

Honestly, I have no idea what the pickup configuration part means. I'll see if I can youtube the different tones. I'm mostly into rock/metal so I was thinking that would be Precision?

Did you just start Bass from nothing? How did the learning go if you did?

I don't know of much like that where I am. Most musicians seem to be in a band for years, or teenagers.

I only know one person into music, she has all 3, but theres no way in hell she'd let anyone touch her guitars. Plus I can't exactly go round to her house, shes still young and her parents would really wonder about an older guy from her work being at their house.
    I don't know if there are any music shops around me, but I'd feel so intimated going into one. And what do I do in there to try them out to see which I want?

I would like to be able to buy second hand, but I haven't a clue what to look out for, or what manufacturers are good/bad.

What are good manufacturers? All I know are Fender & Yamaha are good. I have't a clue outside of that.

I am 62 years old. In my teens I jammed with friends. Then life got in the way and I gave it up....untill about twelve years ago. I spent about a year learning to play. Got some lessons and also taught myself. After that year of getting to know the bass, I decided to look out for people to jam with. Really enjoyed jamming. After about another year, I started gigging. Loved it. It is never too late to learn an instrument.

If you can't borrow an instrument then go to a music shop. No need to feel inhibited. Just hold the instrument and play a few notes. It's like trying on clothes. You have to figure out what you like, and what suits you. ;)

At the entry level budget, you get what you pay for. So I would not be paranoid about brands for the time being. If you like what you see and hear and it feels comfortable in your hands...that's "your" instrument. With basses, you can't go far wrong with a fender or an SX. I started with the latter and upgraded later on. Where are you located ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Fair play to you for learning an instrument. I'm no teenager either. I play drums & guitar.

The advice above is good (esp re Adverts.ie). However, if you're not too sure about what constitutes a good / bad instrument, then maybe 2nd hand is risky unless you bring along somebody who knows what they're looking at.

Re bass vs. guitar. It's down to you really. What's your motivation?

In very general terms, bass is usually played in a band setting - rarely on its own. Technically, you can write songs using bass, but most people write songs on a guitar or piano / keyboard. Of course, there's nothing to stop you writing / noodling away on bass in your bedroom. So, if you'd like the idea of playing in a band, then bass is a good way to get started. It is possible to buy an acoustic bass, but most people use electrics - meaning you'll need an amp.

Guitar is a more versatile instrument in that it can be used for song-writing, gigging alone, playing in a band or just noodling away in the bedroom. Guitars can be acoustic or electric.

Something to note: a guitar usually has 6 strings while a bass usually has only 4. The notes / scales on the 4 bass strings mirror exactly the 4 thickest strings on a guitar. So, if you've learned a bit about musical theory on the guitar, it will help you hugely if you then decided to switch to bass.

My advice would be to get an inexpensive acoustic guitar. You'd easily get a used one for less than €100. Watch some YouTube tutorials to get started. It takes practice, but is very rewarding. If you grow to like it, you'll prob want to upgrade your gear in the future, but that's a whole other thread :-)

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

I am 62 years old. In my teens I jammed with friends. Then life got in the way and I gave it up....untill about twelve years ago. I spent about a year learning to play. Got some lessons and also taught myself. After that year of getting to know the bass, I decided to look out for people to jam with. Really enjoyed jamming. After about another year, I started gigging. Loved it. It is never too late to learn an instrument.

If you can't borrow an instrument then go to a music shop. No need to feel inhibited. Just hold the instrument and play a few notes. It's like trying on clothes. You have to figure out what you like, and what suits you. ;)

At the entry level budget, you get what you pay for. So I would not be paranoid about brands for the time being. If you like what you see and hear and it feels comfortable in your hands...that's "your" instrument. With basses, you can't go far wrong with a fender or an SX. I started with the latter and upgraded later on. Where are you located ?

You've a few years on me then. So would you recommend starting on bass? Or should I get some knowledge of music/timing before I get a bass?

Turns out there is one in my town, never knew that. I might call by to see, but I suspect they'll be pushy to expensive stuff.

Yeah, I know that. I just want something thats not so bad it puts me off. Cheers, I'll check SX too. I'm in Donegal, so pretty far from the main stuff.

You've a few years on me then. So would you recommend starting on bass? Or should I get some knowledge of music/timing before I get a bass?

Turns out there is one in my town, never knew that. I might call by to see, but I suspect they'll be pushy to expensive stuff.

Yeah, I know that. I just want something thats not so bad it puts me off. Cheers, I'll check SX too. I'm in Donegal, so pretty far from the main stuff.

As I said earlier, no one can recommend an instrument for anyone else. It is an entirely personal choice. I always loved the bass, and when a song came on the radio, it was the bass lines that drew me in. So, for me, it was a no brainer to opt for bass. This may not be the case with you. You may prefer something else.

If/when YOU decide that you want to go with a bass, I will be happy to offer tips and suggestions to get you off to a good start.

Hopefully a guitarist on here will be willing to do the same if you opt for a guitar. :)

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Guitar is a more versatile instrument in that it can be used for song-writing, gigging alone, playing in a band or just noodling away in the bedroom. Guitars can be acoustic or electric.

Something to note: a guitar usually has 6 strings while a bass usually has only 4. The notes / scales on the 4 bass strings mirror exactly the 4 thickest strings on a guitar. So, if you've learned a bit about musical theory on the guitar, it will help you hugely if you then decided to switch to bass.

Some good food for thought above.

BTW...it may seem obvious but it is worth stating. If you opt for an electric bass or guitar you will need an amp to go with it.

Something to consider when you are budgeting.

Fair play to you for learning an instrument. I'm no teenager either. I play drums & guitar.

The advice above is good (esp re Adverts.ie). However, if you're not too sure about what constitutes a good / bad instrument, then maybe 2nd hand is risky unless you bring along somebody who knows what they're looking at.

Re bass vs. guitar. It's down to you really. What's your motivation?

In very general terms, bass is usually played in a band setting - rarely on its own. Technically, you can write songs using bass, but most people write songs on a guitar or piano / keyboard. Of course, there's nothing to stop you writing / noodling away on bass in your bedroom. So, if you'd like the idea of playing in a band, then bass is a good way to get started. It is possible to buy an acoustic bass, but most people use electrics - meaning you'll need an amp.

My advice would be to get an inexpensive acoustic guitar. You'd easily get a used one for less than €100. Watch some YouTube tutorials to get started. It takes practice, but is very rewarding. If you grow to like it, you'll prob want to upgrade your gear in the future, but that's a whole other thread :-)

Best of luck.
    I think its about time I start something more productive as a hobby. :)

Yeah, I was thinking that. I'd not have anyone to go with me.

Mostly just for my own stuff. I've no plans for playing for people or anything. Maybe in the future if I think I'm any good, but mostly just messing about on my own.

Hmm, I didn't think of the ability to switch. I presume its easier to go guitar to bass than bass to guitar?

Can I ask why acoustic over electric to start? Just a cost thing? I was thinking electric because I could get an amp that allows headphones so I don't bother anyone practicing.
    As I said earlier, no one can recommend an instrument for anyone else. It is an entirely personal choice. I always loved the bass, and when a song came on the radio, it was the bass lines that drew me in. So, for me, it was a no brainer to opt for bass. This may not be the case with you. You may prefer something else.

If/when YOU decide that you want to go with a bass, I will be happy to offer tips and suggestions to get you off to a good start.

Hopefully a guitarist on here will be willing to do the same if you opt for a guitar. :)
    I've always loved guitar solo's, and a great guitar riff, but at the same time, Anesthesia is one of my favorite songs, and its one long bass solo. And some powerful bass lines can really make a song.

Based on what ZV Yoda said, I'm now thinking I might be better trying a guitar first, and then adding in bass in the future.
    BTW...it may seem obvious but it is worth stating. If you opt for an electric bass or guitar you will need an amp to go with it.

Something to consider when you are budgeting.
    Do they use different amps, or if I get one amp would that cover both? I would prefer electric so I can use headphones when I can't make much noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I think its about time I start something more productive as a hobby. :)

Yeah, I was thinking that. I'd not have anyone to go with me.

Mostly just for my own stuff. I've no plans for playing for people or anything. Maybe in the future if I think I'm any good, but mostly just messing about on my own.

Hmm, I didn't think of the ability to switch. I presume its easier to go guitar to bass than bass to guitar?

Can I ask why acoustic over electric to start? Just a cost thing? I was thinking electric because I could get an amp that allows headphones so I don't bother anyone practicing.

I've always loved guitar solo's, and a great guitar riff, but at the same time, Anesthesia is one of my favorite songs, and its one long bass solo. And some powerful bass lines can really make a song.

Based on what ZV Yoda said, I'm now thinking I might be better trying a guitar first, and then adding in bass in the future.

Do they use different amps, or if I get one amp would that cover both? I would prefer electric so I can use headphones when I can't make much noise.

It's really down to you... you seem to be veering more towards bass & that could well be the right thing for you based on your musical preferences.

Bass amps and electric amps are different - you can't run an electric guitar through a bass amp. Well, you can, but it's not recommended - keep the volume very low if you do

The main reason I suggested acoustic guitar is that it eliminates the hassle of an amp to begin with. I'm also a bit old school in that acoustic guitar is physically more difficult to play than electrics (due to the size / shape of the guitar & fret boards). I'm of the view that it's worth spending that little bit of extra effort learning on acoustic, because you'll find an electric much easier to play later on.

If you learn on an electric, then you'll find the acoustic a bit tougher down the road. Others may disagree with this approach - after all, why not just learn on an electric because it's easier to play. Which is also a fair point.

As ZV Yoda said, there are specific amps for bass and guitar. You could play a guitar through a bass amp. Bass through a guitar amp should be avoided.

It's really down to you... you seem to be veering more towards bass & that could well be the right thing for you based on your musical preferences.

Bass amps and electric amps are different - you can't run an electric guitar through a bass amp. Well, you can, but it's not recommended - keep the volume very low if you do

The main reason I suggested acoustic guitar is that it eliminates the hassle of an amp to begin with. I'm also a bit old school in that acoustic guitar is physically more difficult to play than electrics (due to the size / shape of the guitar & fret boards). I'm of the view that it's worth spending that little bit of extra effort learning on acoustic, because you'll find an electric much easier to play later on.

If you learn on an electric, then you'll find the acoustic a bit tougher down the road. Others may disagree with this approach - after all, why not just learn on an electric because it's easier to play. Which is also a fair point.

I really like the idea of a Bass. But I think I'll take the advice on here and go try some guitars in a shop and see what fits.

Oh, OK, Thanks.

I understand what you're saying, but I also think that electric might be more suitable for me. It will make practice easier for me, I could be practicing at 2am, and I don't want to wake the whole house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

What kind of music are you hoping to play? It could be a determining factor in whether to get an acoustic or electric guitar. If you're only really into metal or punk or post-rock (for example), you're going to be better off with an electric.

Personally, I bought a (crap, cheap) acoustic in my 20s, and never progressed with it. Then a few years ago, I decided to start fresh and got myself a nice electric. I made more progress in the first month than I had in the previous 15 years. Part of it was down to the relative quality of the instrument, but I think most of it was down to bring inspired more by the electric. About 5% of the music I listen to and want to play is played in an acoustic. I have an acoustic too now, but I pick up the electric every single day.

For other people, an electric is not going to fit in with the music that inspires them and they aspire to.

As for bass, that's where I started off. I never played it in a band. I still love playing the bass on my own on the sofa in the evening. I wouldn't bother with an acoustic bass at all. I have one and it's in the attic. They're big and bulky, the strings are too tight, the action too high, and they don't give you any of the bass sounds you're going to be familiar with from all the music you listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

A good friend of mine took up bass at 65.

No music background at all.

He pays for lessons once a week and its cheaper than going to the pub, so his wife just shakes her head and lets him get on with it.

I have in as 1st sub for our church band.

when our usual bassist is unavailable, this guy is like a kid at a birthday party!

So, from this guy's experience, yes, starting bass at advanced years is do-able.

personally, as someone who plays bass and guitar, solo guitar is a lot more fun, in a group setting, rocking that bottom end is great!

So I was doing some looking based on what you folks had said. I am thinking now that I might start with guitar and then add in bass later on.

So I went to a music shop (finally) to see what was what. I asked the guys working there, and they were all in agreement, start with acoustic then go to electric. Starting with electric is a bad idea because of all the distortion settings and things.

Does that sound right to anyone, or is that probably just a sales pitch?
    Like I say, I plan on mostly playing for myself, and I'm big into old school rock and metal. I do occasionally listen to acoustic stuff too, but its not my main taste.

So I was doing some looking based on what you folks had said. I am thinking now that I might start with guitar and then add in bass later on.

So I went to a music shop (finally) to see what was what. I asked the guys working there, and they were all in agreement, start with acoustic then go to electric. Starting with electric is a bad idea because of all the distortion settings and things.

Does that sound right to anyone, or is that probably just a sales pitch?
    Like I say, I plan on mostly playing for myself, and I'm big into old school rock and metal. I do occasionally listen to acoustic stuff too, but its not my main taste.

Once more....YOU should pick out and buy the guitar that YOU want. If your heart is set on getting an acoustic, then by all means go with that. However if an electric guitar is REALLY what you want, then part of the learning curve is going to include the distortion settings..among other things. I can't see you playing much metal stuff on an acoustic. ;) If you don't have any particular choice...i.e. if it's 50/50 either way....then it might be best to go with an acoustic.

The pros and cons of both, have been discussed in this thread.

It's YOUR cash.

So...just curious. Have you picked out and bought your guitar yet ? :)

I've picked out what I'm getting, but I haven't got it yet.

I'll get this first, to get me into the swing of the basics etc:
    Acoustic Yamaha F310

And then I'll aim to get this hopefully by the end of the summer:
    Electric Yamaha Pacifica 012

I know you say there isn't much metal on acoustic, but pretty much every metal musician started on acoustic and still does the odd cover on them.

I've picked out what I'm getting, but I haven't got it yet.

I'll get this first, to get me into the swing of the basics etc:
    Acoustic Yamaha F310

And then I'll aim to get this hopefully by the end of the summer:
    Electric Yamaha Pacifica 012

I know you say there isn't much metal on acoustic, but pretty much every metal musician started on acoustic and still does the odd cover on them.

Congratulations !! Glad you found something you are happy with.

Best of luck on your musical journey. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement