Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Medical Cert

Options
  • 13-04-2017 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi guys,

I'm applying for a primary medical cert and just wanted some advice. I suffer from severe M.E and am mostly housebound/bedridden with it. On a good day I can walk for about a minute but need a wheelchair after that. I can do a little driving around my local town for about 5 mins but if I need to go somewhere further my girlfriend has to drive me. The problem is I don't think I would need any modifications. My arms are very weak so maybe an electric handbrake and knob for the steering wheel but I dont even know if this counts. I rang Irish ME.org this moring and he said he's only known a couple of ME sufferers to ever get it so I'm disheartened by that. I don't even know whether to bother applying now. Do I have any chance of getting this cert? Have you any advice to increase my chances? Am I only eligible if the car needs to be modified? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cath_1

Hi
    If you use a wheelchair attend in it My uncle had his assessment the other day. He got it. Doctor only kept us 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Gunnerman2017

What if they ring my doctor to confirm I can't walk any distance? My doctor knows I can walk a tiny amount. Also do you think I should apply as a passenger or a driver?

What if they ring my doctor to confirm I can't walk any distance? My doctor knows I can walk a tiny amount. Also do you think I should apply as a passenger or a driver?

He told us there & then that application was succsssful. I would apply as a passanger if you can only drive very little & it is your G. F driving mainly. Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Mod note

Advising others to make false statements in order to qualify for a benefit/obtain a medical cert (which is fraud) is not on. Please stick to providing the OP with information or advice which is not illegal. Any queries, please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Gunnerman2017

cath_1 wrote: »
    He told us there & then that application was succsssful. So that would tell you he won't be ringing anyone to check anything. Also he doesn't even ask for G. P name. I would apply as a passanger if you can only drive very little & it is your G. F driving mainly. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for taking the time out to post replies to me I really and truly appreciate it

• Advertisement

Kurtosis wrote: »
    Mod note

Advising others to make false statements in order to qualify for a benefit/obtain a medical cert (which is fraud) is not on. Please stick to providing the OP with information or advice which is not illegal. Any queries, please PM me.

I wasn't insinuating fraud. If he uses a wheelchair some of time he should attend in it. I've ammended to reflect same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gyalsti

I've been diagnosed with progressive ms. Due to spacticity in both legs it is difficult and sometimes dangerous for me to drive. Am I entitled to a primary medical cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

You have to be assessed by a doctor but you should get one yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gyalsti

mickmac76 wrote: »
    You have to be assessed by a doctor but you should get one yes.

Got my cert in the post yesterday. Just took one week.

Advertisement