Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Won't charge in certain sockets

Options
  • 13-04-2017 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

My Assus laptop lately has refused to power on/charge from the sockets in my sitting room. Every other appliance works from them, and when I plug in an extension lead the power light on the lead lights up, but when the laptop plug is plugged in to the extension lead the light goes off and no power!
    It works in the sockets in the rest of the house, oddly enough...weird.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭PMBC

Count Down wrote: »
    My Assus laptop lately has refused to power on/charge from the sockets in my sitting room. Every other appliance works from them, and when I plug in an extension lead the power light on the lead lights up, but when the laptop plug is plugged in to the extension lead the light goes off and no power!
    It works in the sockets in the rest of the house, oddly enough...weird.

Similar problem with a Toshiba Sattelite but wont charge in three or four sockets. Also when charged fully the 6 year old machine lasts for about one hour on battery! So is it a battery problem or charging lead or both? I'm guessing its battery but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

It charged no problem from the kitchen socket, and works fine without the battery. It's about 8-9 months old so don't think it's the battery. The power lead seems free of any damage, fraying, nicks, cuts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭PMBC

Count Down wrote: »
    It charged no problem from the kitchen socket, and works fine without the battery. It's about 8-9 months old so don't think it's the battery. The power lead seems free of any damage, fraying, nicks, cuts etc.

Nearly solved my problem which seems ?mainly battery related.
    However, if its of benefit to you, I did have problems, similar to you when I connected to certain sockets which was baffling, for a while. Trying to approach it logically, I decided to start with the lead, plug, adaptor. About to insert a new fuse into the moulded plug I discovered the cable was partly cut across live and earth conductors. The sockets it worked in were high level so that the cable at those sockets faced almost vertically downward from the plug and the two conductors were pushed together making a reasonable circuit. The other 'non-working' sockets were below my work level so that he power cable was turned upwards from the plug at about 180 degrees ensuring the discontinuity in the cables and circuits.
    So I sorted that out with a new plug. However that was just the start but I wont bore you with the rest. Hope you 'get going' again or have done.

Advertisement