Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tis the night

Options
  • 13-04-2017 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 38,021 ✭✭✭✭

Of the eve of the alcohol apocalypse where for one Friday a year alcohol is unavailable too purchase so today is the day when every off licence and supermarket is raided

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭paulbok

What are you gong to post about next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Tis funny the fuss people make over just 1 day. The complainers should go and live in some enlightened liberal Scandanavian nordic country where you can only buy alcohol from the one and only state-owned off license for 2-3x the price it's here and is closed every Sunday and only open a couple of hours on saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Tis funny the fuss people make over just 1 day. The complainers should go and live in some enlightened liberal Scandanavian nordic country where you can only buy alcohol from the one and only state-owned off license for 2-3x the price it's here and is closed every Sunday and only open a couple of hours on saturday

But no one lives in Norway as its only a fairytale country where it snows all year round and the people talk in gobbledegook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

When the ban is lifted next year, there will be a disasterous warp in the smug continuum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Twas the night before good Friday and not a creature was sober not even a mouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Yeah but wont I get raped or murdered by muslims there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

But no one lives in Norway as its only a fairytale country where it snows all year round and the people talk in gobbledegook.

Tis Elvish they speak up there not gobbledegook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its not The Purge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Irish people are so silly...
    If the pubs were open, it would just be a normal day.
    But because there is a rule that says you can't do something. We jump to try and get around the rule.

I worked an off license, and the day before good Friday is a joke. Full of clowns that don't often drink but will on good Friday, because it's cool to get pissed on the day you're not supposed to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Tis Elvish they speak up there not gobbledegook.

They have a little less conversation, a little more action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The Good Friday ban on alcohol hasn't been there forever. It brought in 90 years ago, in 1927.

And it is likely that it will be gone next year.

Won't make much difference - people used to stay in and drink whatever they wanted anyway.

In 100 years time, nobody will remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

In 100 years time, nobody will remember it.
    In one year and one day's time nobody will remember it because we'll all be f**king wrecked from 10am YEAH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

enzo roco wrote: »
    Irish people are so silly... If the pubs were open, it would just be a normal day.

It'd still be a busy night in pubs as it's the start of a springtime long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sounds like just normal Friday to me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Dafuq? I buy my beers in the supermarket, like everyone else in Scandinavia...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

osarusan wrote: »
    In one year and one day's time nobody will remember it because we'll all be f**king wrecked from 10am YEAH

You may be right. There used to be a ban on alcohol sales on Saint Patrick's Day as well, which was fairly unpopular. Only the older folks would remember that.

enzo roco wrote: »
    Irish people are so silly...
    If the pubs were open, it would just be a normal day.
    But because there is a rule that says you can't do something. We jump to try and get around the rule.

I worked an off license, and the day before good Friday is a joke. Full of clowns that don't often drink but will on good Friday, because it's cool to get pissed on the day you're not supposed to drink.

No, irish people are the coolest mo fos around
    It's a day off from work, all your mates have the day off too, it's the start of a long weekend, it's time to party

What do people find so hard to comprehend about this

In most countries they have unofficial party days, this is just one of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭sjb25

Your Face wrote: »
    Its not The Purge.

Now there is an idea for next year

I'm off shopping

https://m.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/panzer-mk-vi-tiger-for-sale.html

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Neighsayer

Will we be allowed to eat meat on Good Fryday next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Having to work on good friday is what pisses me off. Why is it a bank holiday and not a fully fledged public holiday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Ah sure its never being a problem around here, once you know the know.Many years a go I used to love the hide n seek around the numerous villages, it did make it a bit more special, Nowadays I just don't bother & think what was it all for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Neighsayer wrote: »
    Will we be allowed to eat meat on Good Fryday next year?

You know Jesus said all the Butchers be closed on Good Friday but somehow the Irish thought he said Bars.:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In other news - water is wet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭cml387

One Good Friday some years ago I was in Mullingar Railway station when a Steam Special arrived from Dublin.

When it stopped it was as if the entire cast of the walking dead were on board. With few exceptions every single passenger was completely spifflicated.
    Just becasue you could get drink on the train on Good Friday.

We are a funny country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Funniest thing about Good Friday is the 'where's open for drink' panic from people.
    i wonder if that's how heroin addicts feel when their dealer has a lie in?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

cml387 wrote: »
    One Good Friday some years ago I was in Mullingar Railway station when a Steam Special arrived from Dublin.

When it stopped it was as if the entire cast of the walking dead were on board. With few exceptions every single passenger was completely spifflicated.
    Just becasue you could get drink on the train on Good Friday.

We are a funny country.

Those steam specials are like that whenever they run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

sjb25 wrote: »

Save your cash and make Molotov's from all the bottles that will be laying around after the professed beer apocalypse.

Advertisement