Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance on glasses ??

Options
  • 12-04-2017 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if you can get some sort of insurance on personal glasses? If I break them (new ones) I don't wanna pay a fortune to replace them

Am I wasting my time or is it possible

Bought them in spec savers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Might be wrong here, but I think home insurance covers lost glasses?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its usually offered by the opticians, so ask them. Vision Express hard sell one that actually isn't too bad if you replace the frames frequently as it also works as a discount card; Specsavers may have something.

Home insurance excess is usually far too high to be any use. I would imagine third party insurance would be unviably expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I remember hearing of a friend of a friend getting glasses replaced as he had bought them with either mastercard or visa. Can't remember which and not sure of the details at all.

I know another guy who had both cards and would buy certain things with one or other due to this apparent inbuilt insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rubadub wrote: »
    I remember hearing of a friend of a friend getting glasses replaced as he had bought them with either mastercard or visa. Can't remember which and not sure of the details at all.

The Mastercard Platinum card from BoI had cover for accidental damage (not sure about theft) for 6 months on items purchased with the card but they pulled it a while back. Naturally they didn't reduce the annual charge on the card.

Advertisement