Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 month contract in The Netherlands and Jobseeker's on return to Ireland

Options
  • 12-04-2017 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi,

My background:

In the last 13 years (2003-2016) I've worked full time in Ireland, with short periods of unemployment (4 months total), left my job mid December (long story), unemployed till end of March.
    I'm currently working, got a fixed term 2 month contract at the start of April and ending in May.
    I'm trying to secure future employment but it's quiet at the moment in the area of my expertise.

The problem:

I've just been offered a 5 month contract in The Netherlands starting in June. It doesn't pay much but it's in my line of work, brings good work experience and adventure. There won't be much chance to extend the contract though.

I don't want to stay in The Nethelands when the contract is finished. I've got a family here, we own a house here too. I'm starting a part time postgraduate course this Autumn so pretty much I have to come back.

The Unemployment Benefit:

I'm afraid that when the contract is finished I won't be eligible for Unemployment Benefit neither in Ireland or in The Netherlands. They have that 26 out of 36 months rule which I'd barely scratch (it will be 28 weeks and that's if the contract last full 5 months as there's a "maybe" attached to it). It would probably drag for months before being awarded too.
    My local SW office (Intreo) will probably say that they've got nothing to do with me as I worked abroad, so a catch 22 situation.
    I still should satisfy habitual residence condition as my life interests are in Ireland and I treat it as my home.

My gut feeling is telling me to pass on this job offer as there's too much risk related to what happens afterwards. I think that most I could get is JA and that's with big IF.

Theoretically I should land a job in a reasonable timeframe upon coming back to Ireland but my recent job search experience is very worrying and with family to look after (wife working fortunately), even more so. In short, I've outgrown roles I did in the past and I'm no longer being considered for these by employers. On the flipside, I lack formal education and specific experience to progress further. I had mock interviews with the recruiters, always was complimented that I come across very well and that my presentation is excellent. 12 interviews down and no job offer though apart from these short term contracts mentioned where I got an offer literally on the spot.

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I think you'll be ok, Social Welfare will be looking at your PRSI contributions from 2015 if you make a claim in 2017 and 2016 if you claim in 2018. Here's what Citizens Information have to say:
    To qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit, you must pay Class A, H or P PRSI contributions. Class A is the one paid by most private sector employees. Class H is paid by soldiers, reservists and temporary army nurses, who do not qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit until they have left the army. To qualify you need:

At least 104 weeks PRSI paid since you first started work

And

39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year (a minimum of 13 weeks must be paid contributions*)

Or

26 weeks PRSI paid in the relevant tax year and 26 weeks PRSI paid in the tax year immediately before the relevant tax year.

*If you do not have 13 paid contributions in the relevant tax year, you must have paid 13 contributions in any of the following years:

The 2 tax years before the relevant tax year
    The last complete tax year
    The current tax year.

The relevant tax year is the second last complete tax year before the year in which your claim is made. So, for claims made in 2017, the relevant tax year is 2015.

They will only link the new claim to your previous one if you claim again within 26 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭jules86

I think your old JB claim will be reopened on your return the claims will be linked, if you have 13 week's work after 6 months of the claim i.e.156 days but your claim needs to 156 paid days before you start work​.
    Call in to your local intreo office and explain situation and check how many days will be on your claim when you leave the country

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

Biggest problem I see is the habitual residency test, I would prefer to avoid it at any cost. And it would be required upon arrival.

There might be a possibility that I could operate abroad as self employed contractor with office registered in Ireland. This would give me continuity, however I assume that I won't be able to claim jobseekers benefit, just allowance. Would be much safer with benefit, especially if I qualified for a springboard course (the one I'm starting in Autumn I'd have to pay myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Habitual residence doesnt apply to jobseekers benefit claims and if you are only out of the country 5 months it shouldnt apply to a jobseekers allowance claim. If you operate as self employed abroad you should still be able to claim jb on your return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Habitual residence does apply. But I don't see any issue in circumstances you outline

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

amtc wrote: »
    Habitual residence does apply. But I don't see any issue in circumstances you outline

Habitual Residence doesn't apply to JSB claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

It does. I worked as a deciding officer

You havnt worked as a deciding officer because you would know that HRC doesn't apply to JSB.
    Unless you can supply a link that states otherwise.
    Here are the conditions for JSB.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

since when
    I was on JSB nobody asked for it
    When I got on JSA then I had to do the test

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

Thank you for the advice. As far as I remember, there is a section in the jobseekers benefit form asking about living outside of the state. That's why I assumed that there might be serious risk involved.

The more I think, the more it doesn't make sense to take this job opportunity, especially if this might close the door for jobseekers support, springboard courses and so on. Not that I will use these, but I might end up without any safety net.

It seems to me that there is no clear answer so I asked the SW for official stance in writing. I doubt that I will hear anything back.

All of this makes free movement of workers in EU a theory. Pile of steaming BS if I was to be honest. It's more reasonable to keep taking benefits or take any (menial, low paid) job here, rather than avail of good temp opportunity abroad.

I'll update this thread if I hear anything back from SW for future reference for fellow boardsies :)

• Advertisement

The reason it asks you about working abroad is that you can use social insurance contributions you made abroad to qualify for JSB.
    To qualify for JSB is fairly straightforward.
    None of the things you mention in your OP are actually relevant.
    When you come back:
    If you are looking for and available for full time work (yes you are)
    Have suffered a loss of employment ( yes)
    Have sufficient PRSI in the correct year (you appear to have)
    Then you will qualify for JSB.
    There is no issue about you having worked abroad whatsoever, I don't know where you got that idea.
    It appears you are overthinking your situation without really knowing anything about how the process actually works.
    Please go ahead and take the job you have been offered or if not, you should apply for Jobseekers as soon as possible as you don't appear to have had a PRSI credit made since before Christmas and you are leaving a big gap in your record

Advertisement