Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying S7 Edge from a shop in Dublin City Centre

Options
  • 12-04-2017 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Looking to purchase a mobile phone as I just got my phone stolen. I am looking to buy a new phone so that I could insure it as I always have troubles with my phones. So the phone that I have to purchase has to absolutely be new/sealed. Is buying from a shop in the city centre safe enough? Does anyone know if insurance companies will take just any 'shop receipt' or does it have to be a reputable shop? Looking to buy from a shop that isn't Meteor, Vodafone, Three, Eir, or Carphone Warehouse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Hi everyone,

Looking to purchase a mobile phone as I just got my phone stolen. I am looking to buy a new phone so that I could insure it as I always have troubles with my phones. So the phone that I have to purchase has to absolutely be new/sealed. Is buying from a shop in the city centre safe enough? Does anyone know if insurance companies will take just any 'shop receipt' or does it have to be a reputable shop? Looking to buy from a shop that isn't Meteor, Vodafone, Three, Eir, or Carphone Warehouse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

If the "troubles with your phones" include dropping them and breaking the screens - then I wouldn't recommend the S7 Edge. The curved sides with glass right up to the edge make them very slippy and particularly susceptible to breakage. The Samsung Galaxy S7 is an almost identical spec, with a marginally smaller screen, but more robust because it has a lip on all sides and squared off edges.

I don't understand your logic of needing to buy from an independent store to get insurance? If you buy from a regular phone store you can still get insurance.

You also will generally save some money if you opt for a contract with a subsidized phone vs SIM free from an independent retailer. For example Argos sell the S7 EDGE SIM free for €834.99. If you bought this and went for a basic unlimited voice/text 15GB data plan with Eir Mobile for €30/month, then the lifetime cost over 24 months would be €1,555. However, if you opted for the same plan with a subsidized phone, you would get the S7 Edge for €149 and €55 per month. Over 24 months this would cost you €1,469 - a saving of €86. This is a standalone mobile price - you will save even more if you bundle with Fibre, TV etc.

Finally, if you are buying from an independent shop, note that some carrier specific features may not be supported. For example, Eir Mobile recently launched WiFi calling. Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge both support this. However, you need to get a phone from Eir that has this feature in the carrier-specific firmware, as none of the other Irish networks support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

If the "troubles with your phones" include dropping them and breaking the screens - then I wouldn't recommend the S7 Edge. The curved sides with glass right up to the edge make them very slippy and particularly susceptible to breakage. The Samsung Galaxy S7 is an almost identical spec, with a marginally smaller screen, but more robust because it has a lip on all sides and squared off edges.

That was not really the main issue. Although through all the smartphones that I did have, it did happen once. But no other time did it happen. The issue mostly is me losing them or someone actually stealing it such as the last time (I know probably my own fault for being vulnerable, which is why I believe I need the insurance. Hopefully the topic doesn't come to arguing about needing insurance or not. :D )

I don't understand your logic of needing to buy from an independent store to get insurance? If you buy from a regular phone store you can still get insurance.

It's just because of cost that I was considering the shop. There is quite a big difference in price. The shop that I'm talking about is one of those phone shops that doesn't really have a name or a reputable one such as the one in the Ilac shopping centre and the price is about €500.
    You also will generally save some money if you opt for a contract with a subsidized phone vs SIM free from an independent retailer. For example Argos sell the S7 EDGE SIM free for €834.99. If you bought this and went for a basic unlimited voice/text 15GB data plan with Eir Mobile for €30/month, then the lifetime cost over 24 months would be €1,555. However, if you opted for the same plan with a subsidized phone, you would get the S7 Edge for €149 and €55 per month. Over 24 months this would cost you €1,469 - a saving of €86. This is a standalone mobile price - you will save even more if you bundle with Fibre, TV etc.

I am currently with Virgin Media and I am quite happy with the service that I am getting from them. Being on a contract for broadband with them, I have entitlement for the cheap plans that they offer which is €5 a month.
    Finally, if you are buying from an independent shop, note that some carrier specific features may not be supported. For example, Eir Mobile recently launched WiFi calling. Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge both support this. However, you need to get a phone from Eir that has this feature in the carrier-specific firmware, as none of the other Irish networks support it.

Hmm. I'm not negating your points just for the sake of it or anything like that, but I just think that if that is the only thing that I should be considering regarding buying a non-carrier specific phone, I think I would be fine with it. I do understand your point though but it just isn't something that I think I would be using. Thank you so much for letting me know about that though. I do appreciate it.

So as mentioned, the main concern really is just the authenticity of phones from those 'shops' and if insurance companies will consider their receipts as enough proof of purchase rather than receipts from say Argos or Carphone Warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

€520 from Amazon.de. Crazy to go anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ED E wrote: »
    €520 from Amazon.de. Crazy to go anywhere else.

+1 which also knocks on the head the suggestion that a 'subsidized' phone from a network is a better deal - you are always better off buying SIM-free and negotiating your own contract. In most cases you can get a rolling 30 day contract so you are free to move networks any time you choose. and/or to sell the handset if you want to upgrade sooner.

The networks don't subsidize phones, they just make it easy to upgrade from one expensive model to another every two or three years but you end up paying more than you would if you bought the handset outright yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Could you not just buy an S7/Edge and reflash it with the eir firmware from Sammobile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

To update you guys, I actually went to one of those 'shops' in town to buy one. I know, I know, I've been advised against it but still did. But bear with me.

When I was purchasing the item, I asked if it was definitely a genuine item, they said yes. I made sure that I can return the item if it was still sealed. I told them that I will have to send the proof of purchase to the insurer to see if they will cover the phone based on the receipt. They said that's fine, but the guy was like 'thinking' about how many days to give me in terms of the space that I can give the phone back for a full refund. He initially said 'is 1 day enough?' To which I immediately said no. Then he adjusted to give me a 'date' and not a set amount of days. Which I found really weird because there is no set returns policy? :confused::confused::confused: That was the first time I felt dodgy about our trade(but I was feeling a bit sketchy in the first place anyway that's why I was proceeding with so much caution). I asked for the date to be written in or printed on the receipt itself, and they were happy enough to do that.

So while they were entering details into the till to proceed with the purchase, I borrowed the box and took a picture of the IMEI so I could search about it. The IMEI search came back that it was a genuine S7 Edge. So no problems there, and I went ahead with the purchase.

All was good then I thought, EXCEPT, I found the IMEI sticker very very dodgy. Firstly, it wasn't stuck on straight. It was a bit sideways. Not sure if it was my OCD or just normal sense that hit me something about that, but whatever it was, it did, and I thank God it did. I went back to the videos that I've been watching regarding fake S7 Edges vs Real ones on Youtube and ALL of these videos referred to a very similar looking box to mine being fake. What really got me though is a video of a FAKE S7 Edge being 'produced' and shipped out. The video was made and narrated by whoever made it and was describing how it was so like the S7 Edge. What hit me was that there was a 'seal' inside for 'when you want to sell the item, stick it on the side'(according to the seller). And yes, both the box and the seal looked exactly like what I had on my hand.

An hour later, went back to the shop, returned it saying the insurer wouldn't take their proof of purchase. Didn't even bother mentioning that it was a fake because I didn't want them to hold on to my cash any longer.

Another hour later, just decided to order a Oneplus 3T from the Oneplus website because I did not want to risk getting another fake, even from a trusted website, as I did not realise how real they could actually look.:eek::eek:

TLDR: THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR CONTRIBUTING. DIDN'T GET AN S7 EDGE IN THE END BUT I DID GET SORTED. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

3T is a whopper handset to boot. All ends that ends well.

Advertisement