Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scene & sequel

Options
  • 12-04-2017 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

For those of you who have written or attempted to write a novel, what do you think of 'scene & sequel' as described on websites like this:

http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/articles/writing-the-perfect-scene/

Quote: "A Scene has the following three-part pattern:

1. Goal
      2. Conflict
      3. Disaster
      A Sequel has the following three-part pattern:
        1. Reaction
        2. Dilemma
        3. Decision"

I like the idea of using structure to guide the writing, but when I pick random novels from my shelf and try and find this kind of structure, to see how its done in practice, I don't find it to any great extent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Some writers are more structural than others. And obviously, in a single scene, the goal, conflict and disaster are pretty subtle. It could be something like the hero asking the heroine to dance, she says no, and dances with someone else instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

The old saying is "Learn the rules, master the rules, break the rules."
        Knowing how a novel is supposed to be constructed is a great start, and well worthwhile trying to emulate, but when you actually come to write your masterpiece, you will know exactly how your novel should flow.
        Start with some exercises emulating these ideas, then whenever you're editing ask yourself if you're following the rules. If you're not, ask yourself why not.
        You have to know how to play your scales before you can write a symphony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Quote: "A Scene has the following three-part pattern:

1 Goal
        2 Conflict
        3 Disaster

A Sequel has the following three-part pattern:
        1 Reaction
        2 Dilemma
        3 Decision"

This may be an awfully silly question. I also have a problem with this, but mine is understanding. Is a scene one chapter and the sequel is the next, or will the scene and sequel follow on a few chapters? And then the process begins again till the final scene? Or is the sequel, the final part/chapter of the story/book finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Take a look at a formulaic action book like a Dan Brown or a John Grisham.
        Scene: protagonist arrives home to find he's been broken into, fights baddy, is rescued by sudden appearance of heroine
        Sequel: heroine introduces herself, explains the danger, a visit to the protagonist's mentor is required to understand why he's the target
        Scene: protagonist and heroine visit mentor to find him being murdered, they chase but lose the baddy
        Sequel: they search the apartment before the police turn up finding the next clue.
        The formula works most clearly in this capacity but is less relevant to a mainstream or literary novel. However, it's worth being aware of the logic, and when working on a novel plan or edit, try to understand where your scenes and sequels might be or, if you can't identify them, ask yourself if you have the structure right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I've always felt this model makes it sound like all the conflict happens in the scene - "goal! conflict! disaster!", with the sequel limited to just reaction and analysis. I don't think that's the idea behind it, but it's badly phrased.

The point is that you don't want to burn your reader out with non-stop action, but its also super important to remember that while a "sequel" is less action filled, it still needs to have conflict. Otherwise every second chapter of your story will be dull as hell and your reader will abandon it.

• Advertisement
      Advertisement