Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energlaze

Options
  • 11-04-2017 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi guys

Im considering getting these in (but not replace the original PVC frames)
    I've a number windows which are ground to ceiling height pretty much and run the length of the rooms. So the window space is much larger than the external wall space so it seems more sense to insulate windows rather than the walls . The house is 40 years old, Windows at least 15 years old if not more.Quite simply.. do these glazings really work?

Do replacing the glass on existing on PVC frames ruin the integrity/life span of the frames?

I read older threads here and seems most are against glass replace. You have to replace the frames too to gain benefit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

allycavs wrote: »
    Hi guys

I read older threads here and seems most are against glass replace. You have to replace the frames too to gain benefit.

That is not my experience here...
    In summary, if the frames, hinges and ope seals are top drawer then the glazing only route will work fine. to use an analogy, no point in putting a new fly in a trousers which has no orse in it.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭allycavs

Thanks for reply. So have you just replaced glazing yourself and found benefits?

Would u say i would be better off putting money into warm boarding. I would do warm boarding except the windows take up approx 70% off the exterior walls in each room I'd warm board. I don't think it's necessary to warm board interior walls

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I replaced big panes in thermally broken Alu frames which were perfect so happy, yes.
    Benefits, yes

You need to do the U-Value math calcs on this for heat loss so you may need Triple [gas filled, low emissivity etc] glazing which may not fit in the existing frames

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭allycavs

Ok thanks for that. Reassuring to here replacing larger panes was beneficial. Old double glazing would have poor ratings so yes calculations should show favourable changes

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭webmanie

EnerGlaze

Hi All, just wondering do anyone have an up date on EnerGlaze replacement glsss, im not changing the frames just the glass, any good or bad storys about it, not so much the company but the product it self,

• Advertisement
Advertisement