Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewage Stink

Options
  • 11-04-2017 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Our extension was built over the sewage drain of the house in the 1970s. The previous owners put a wooden floor and lino over it. When I discovered this, I tiled had a floor trap door installed so that we can access the drain for blockages - thankfully there hasn't been one. But for months now we intermittently get a foul sewage smell in our utility room where the trap is - it's worse in the evenings and sometimes it's not there at all. Is there a broken seal or trap? Is there a deodorising fluid I can pour down our drains? What's causing the smell? Moving the drain back out down the garden isn't an option financially. Any advice as to why this is suddenly stinking and what I can do about it much appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

it is caused by blockages down the line either direction. the smell usually escapes through a vent but that escape is blocked and your man hole is its next easiest way out.

get the council to clean the sewer. there is probably a build up in the pipes.

seal up the man hole with silicone (cheap stuff or you wont be able to open it ever again )

or install a vent from the man hole outside. probably expensive

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

it is caused by blockages down the line either direction. the smell usually escapes through a vent but that escape is blocked and your man hole is its next easiest way out.

seal up the man hole with silicone (cheap stuff or you wont be able to open it ever again )

The council will not clean the sewer. It's a private system and it must be maintained by all users of that system.

Sorry I thought it was a public system.

That makes it easier.
    Go to whoever is in charge of it and organise to have the system jetted. .if it's a group system then there are changes that should cover this

• Registered Users Posts: 10 missgeorge

Thanks for the replies. It is a public system - not sure if the stink is back up from the pipes that are on the council's maps. I suspect it's a blockage further down the system - baby wipes or a fat berg. If people along the street pour white spirits down their drain, I can smell it in our utility room. The blockage could be in any one of their pipes leading into the shared sewage pipe that runs behind our houses. Not to be holier than thou - but we never put anything dodgy down the toilet or drain because we're so conscious of having the drain inside the house. The confusing part is how intermittent the smell is - it can vanish for 48 hours and then come back with a vengeance and then slowly disappear again. Surely a blockage doesn't come and go?

The manhole is about 18 inches inside the back door of the house, that leads out to steps down to the garden, any idea what installing a vent there would involve or cost?

• Advertisement

The manhole is about 18 inches inside the back door of the house, that leads out to steps down to the garden, any idea what installing a vent there would involve or cost?

hole deep is the pipe below the floor and outside

hole deep is the pipe below the floor and outside
    A couple of feet it runs under three steps down to garden level

have you got a few spare times for the floor.

you could potentially take out the top step or 2 and drill in with a 50mm bit and vent the manhole with waste pipe

have you got a few spare times for the floor.

you could potentially take out the top step or 2 and drill in with a 50mm bit and vent the manhole with waste pipe
    Would be great if that worked! Have spare tiles, alright. Is this a job for a general builder/plumber/drains company? Don't know where to start TBH

• Advertisement

probably a general builder. they will put the steps back etc.

probably a general builder. they will put the steps back etc.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Will give the silicon a go as a short term solution and then look into having a vent installed. Now does anyone want to help draft a letter that won't p**s off my neighbours, asking them to stop putting dog poo, wipes and grease down their drains??? ;-)

i think that is something for whoever is over the sewerage to send. i dont think it would be well received from a neighbour.
    people dont care about it once it is flushed away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Honestly, start with just duck taping the man hole cover and see if it makes any difference, not a fix, but will help confirm that the fumes are definitely coming from there

Skatedude wrote: »
    Honestly, start with just duck taping the man hole cover and see if it makes any difference, not a fix, but will help confirm that the fumes are definitely coming from there
    Have just done that right now. Good idea.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sorry I thought it was a public system.

That makes it easier.
    Go to whoever is in charge of it and organise to have the system jetted. .if it's a group system then there are changes that should cover this

The people responsible for it are the OP and their Neighbour's that discharge into it.
    missgeorge wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. It is a public system - not sure if the stink is back up from the pipes that are on the council's maps. I suspect it's a blockage further down the system - baby wipes or a fat berg. If people along the street pour white spirits down their drain, I can smell it in our utility room. The blockage could be in any one of their pipes leading into the shared sewage pipe that runs behind our houses. Not to be holier than thou - but we never put anything dodgy down the toilet or drain because we're so conscious of having the drain inside the house. The confusing part is how intermittent the smell is - it can vanish for 48 hours and then come back with a vengeance and then slowly disappear again. Surely a blockage doesn't come and go?

It is not a public system. Public system ms have a legal way leave attached to them and hence your extension would have never been allowed to be built over it.

Is this sewer out your back garden?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

You need to fit a double sealed recessed manhole cover. (recessed to take the floor finish) There is no way the smell should come into the house. These manhole covers are used all over the place including hospitals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,233 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Op as its important to get this sorted quickly as the fumes can kill,
    look at this link
    http://www.galco.ie/access-covers-recessed-covers.php
    I have used them in the past, the seal can be augmented with normal car grease

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,409 ✭✭✭✭elperello

missgeorge wrote: »

Is anyone on the system engaged in any business or hobby that would entail intermittent discharges to the sewer?

You might consider keeping a diary of when the odours occur to help you establish a pattern.

Folks, thanks for all your suggestions about the sewage smell coming from the manhole inside my utility room. Think I'm going to have to get a CCTV drain survey. Anybody got any experience of this in terms of cost, whether I should hire a company who does the survey AND repairs? Should I pay for a DVD of the drains, or will a map when it comes to getting any problems fixed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement